Parsimonious Bedside Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke66

Established Member
Reaction score
Downsizing a bit with this one; a small bedside table. Apart from the material for the drawer sides and front, it's made from every conceivable gash bit of scrappy Euro Oak that was loitering in the 'shop. The sides are slightly higher by 3m than the top; construction is by strips of ply glued into grooves running across the width of the job; not even any doms used :D . Some of the veneers...

IMG_2683.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg

...are only about 25mm wide, AirPressed onto a substrate of 16mm mr mdf. Each edge has had a 3.2mm roundover bit passed along it.

The back is a veneered piece of 3mm mdf, set into a squared out rebate.

IMG_2686.jpg

The drawer is a Rob Ingham construction where it runs on a rail of something hard and nasty underneath the centre muntin. The front is screwed in place with 16mm Torx screws. These drawers are fiddly to make but are easy to fit; they work beautifully as well.

IMG_2687.jpg

The drawer pull is a reject left over from the Korean chest of drawers job; made from Bog Oak and m/t'd in position.

IMG_2684.jpg

The finish is three or four thin coats (de-nibbed between each) of Matt Osmo-PolyX, with a good application of proper Swedish beeswax from CHT - Rob

Attachments

• IMG_2683.jpg
    IMG_2683.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 776
  • IMG_2685.jpg
    IMG_2685.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 775
  • IMG_2686.jpg
    IMG_2686.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 778
  • IMG_2687.jpg
    IMG_2687.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 778
  • IMG_2684.jpg
    IMG_2684.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 757
Love the pull and the floating gap Rob. Probably the wrong term but.

Bm101":1hyml1ug said:
Love the pull and the floating gap Rob. Probably the wrong term but.
Thanks. Unfortunately, the drawer has started to stick a fraction so I'm leaving it open indoors and hoping that the warm air in the house will shrink the sides a smidge. If not, it's back out to the 'shop on Monday for a couple of thin shavings off the sticky bits - Rob

Very nice, I like the cabinet on a frame style, also that you made it from material you had to hand. Another heirloom project.

Regards,

Colin

colinc":1m6vt1lp said:
Very nice, I like the cabinet on a frame style, also that you made it from material you had to hand. Another heirloom project.

Regards,

Colin
Thanks Colin. These bits of Euro Oak accumulated (as do all offcuts) and it just irked me somewhat to chop them up for the wheely bin. This little bedside table just sits right in the corner of the room so you hardly see the mismatched veneer along the sides of the box. I sorted out the drawer yesterday as well; a skim shaving or two needed off the sides with a long LV try plane - Rob

Good use of waste! I must admit I would of had most of that in the wood burner (pull aside). Super tidy as always.

G S Haydon":75ekprlu said:
Good use of waste! I must admit I would of had most of that in the wood burner (pull aside). Super tidy as always.
Thanks Graham. It just irritates when I accumulate a quantity of decent enough timber but can't find a use for it. Fortunately, this project was on SWIMBO's 'busy list' so it seemed an ideal opportunity to make something with the oak and get a few brownie points thrown in as well...it all helps :lol: - Rob

Back