Parkside scroller

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteO

Reaction score
Hi all. Relatively new to scrolling and just found this site. Earlier this year I bought a scroll saw from lidl for about £70. I've made a few pieces including some 3d stuff and quite pleased with results but attaching the blades can be a chore. Have anyone overcome this problem and is able to advise on ways to modify my saw.
Been to lidl today with my wife and found a belt and disc sander for £80 and wood lathe for £60. Couldn't leave them there. I'm happy buying cheap until I'm sure I want to continue with this hobby. Then I'll consider and upgrade if I can afford it.

I disagree with the above, sure cheaper machines *might* put some off but the reason people buy cheap is generally because they can't afford to lash out £500+ on a machine they may never use for more than a few goes

Those with deeper pockets don't have the problem and may not understand why someone new might buy a cheaper machine

My advice would be to buy a better machine second hand than buy a new cheap model

I say cheap but you can get almost the same machine for under £200 new, £200 is a lot of money when you don't have much

But £200 or less would buy you a very good used machine

The OP question about blades hasn't been addressed . . . I don't think there is an alternative to the blade fitting/re-fitting on these basic saws.

And - it's a bit harsh to castigate the OP for buying a cheap machine - everyone has to start somewhere and for many people the basic Aldi/Lidl stuf does the job for the money. My own scroll-saw is a B&Q own-badged machine that originally cost about £90 I think - it was a Gumtree purchase for £15 and does what I want for occasional use! [Just made some 5mm plywood Christmas decoration shapes for our outdoor tree (y)]

If the op does a search of the scrolling forum section, he will find a plethora of threads about this very issue. They also have links to the suppliers of various adaptor kits that fit the lower spec machines in order to enable the to do quick change and take pinned and pinless blades. Before the software upgrade there was a sticky by AES that had a list of blade sources and also these adapters but I can't find it to link to

You are right that I didn't address the question posed re blade clamps and ease of changing pinless blades

Assuming you have the most common blade fitment as fitted to most sub £200 saws

ie the "hanger" type which can be a pain to change for pinless blades (as per attached)

And wish to stick with the saw you have

You have three choices really

Use a conversion kit (Olson make one) but they are quite expensive and not that great to use
(from other users experiences, I haven't used one) about £25 or so

Use the Axminster type which replace the existing bent metal arrangement as fitted standard, which allows both types of blades to be used, not perfect but workable, easily fitted and costs around £10

Make your own if you have the kit, although I suspect you wouldn't be asking the question if you already have the capability

Attachments

• Standard type blade clamps as fitted to many sub £200 saws.jpg
    Standard type blade clamps as fitted to many sub £200 saws.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 19
Attached shows the Axminster type blade clamps and how they look fitted

And the Olson type conversion kit

Also a variation on the sub £200 saw blade clamps which I assume you don't have (not interchangeable with the most common sort)

Attachments

• Axminster blade clamps to convert standard type how they are fitted.jpg
    Axminster blade clamps to convert standard type how they are fitted.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Axminster blade clamps to convert standard type.jpg
    Axminster blade clamps to convert standard type.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Olson type blade clamp conversion kit.jpg
    Olson type blade clamp conversion kit.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Variation of blade clamps on sub £200 saws which take both types of blade (Scheppach SD 1600V ...jpg
    Variation of blade clamps on sub £200 saws which take both types of blade (Scheppach SD 1600V ...jpg
    50 KB · Views: 25
With respect, the post by AES covers the blades themselves but doesn't seem to cover the blade clamps the OP asked about?

Unless I missed it in the post

With respect, the post by AES covers the blades themselves but doesn't seem to cover the blade clamps the OP asked about?

Many thanks Whatnot, I did explain that it was the clamp and not the blades. Just as a point of interest I have only broken just one blade since I first started about 2 months ago!

That is very good going IMHO, I broke quite a few when I first started ;-)

(with a cheap saw ;-)

Many thanks Whatnot, I did explain that it was the clamp and not the blades. Just as a point of interest I have only broken just one blade since I first started about 2 months ago!

@whatknot : That's OK. I was simply "replying" to Droogs (post #9 above) where he said he couldn't find a link to "my" sticky about sourcing blades. No "my" sticky doesn't mention blade clamps.

Attached shows the Axminster type blade clamps and how they look fitted

And the Olson type conversion kit

Also a variation on the sub £200 saw blade clamps which I assume you don't have (not interchangeable with the most common sort)
Many thanks for Advice. Appreciate advice more than the criticism for buying cheap. Will visit my local Axminster store.

Back