Parkside Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MalcB

Reaction score
Hi all I've been on this site for ages enjoying reading the posts I now want to learn turning as a therapy for my depression I've been buying a few tools recently but also had a spell off work sick. I may buy a clarke mini lathe @ £191 but have seen Lidle have a variable speed lathe available next Sunday for £60 are they any good for a learner or should I stretch to the clarke that would have a resale value if things didn't work out
Thanks Malc

Have not seen the latest Lidl one but the previous ones sold by them and Aldi are for accidents waiting to happen STEER CLEAR!
Not only dangerous but difficult to get any useful additions for them such as chucks.

Dave

If you're going to the £200 mark, watch out for smaller Records, Tymes, Axminsters and possibly ML8s. Aldi and Lidl lathes are garbage, and Clarke not much better. If you can stretch it a bit you can probably pick something up with faceplates, centres etc. which will save you a lot. The ones you mention are more like to deter than encourage.

just look at some youtube videos of it, apparently it struggles to let you even use sandpaper at slower speeds!

I have little to no experience with lathes, but a friend recently started with a budget lathe, and I very much got the impression that the limitations of the machine were a real frustration (he gave up). I would see if there is somewhere like a local mens shed or workshop that you could use a quality machine, at least until you know a bit more about turning, then maybe consider a good quality second hand lathe

Didn't someone here have a video of the Parkside one that essentially tore itself apart in use?

Axminster have a £179.98 one Axminster Craft AC205WL Woodturning Lathe (backorder atm) that makes the Parkside look like :poop: - I'm not convinced even the axy would be good enough but it certainly looks streets ahead in comparison.

Also bear in mind that buying the lathe part is only the start, there's a whole host of things you're going to need and costs do mount up quite quickly if you don't keep an eye on them.

The Parkside lathe appears to be constructed mostly from aluminium and plastic. It has an M18 spindle thread which is not supported by most UK chuck manufacturers and the tailstock appears to have a fixed live centre so you couldn't use other accessories with it. Probably one that is best avoided if you plan to do any serious turning.

Plenty of good advice above. For around the £200 mark I’d be looking second hand and probably for a mechanical variable speed Axminster machine with some accessories such as faceplate and if vey lucky, a basic chuck.

do you have a workshop already as some items like a grinder with white wheel, face shield, basic dust protection, abrasives and finishes all need to be thought about and factored into start up budget if not.

Sounds intimidating but it isn’t really and quite good fun looking at all the options.

drop me a PM with your email - I wrote some notes for a mate who wanted to get started and I’ll send it to you

Simon

I am tempted by one to use as a variable speed sander/buffer/grinder etc. Seems like slowest speed though is 800rpm which might still be too fast.

Buy cheap buy twice , Look for a decent used lathe on that auction web sites and face book marketplace ( If I am allowed to mention these ) , Ask advice on here BEFORE buying .

Thanks for the replies, I've taken them on board, I want to have the facility to do bowls lamps and other small items I had budgeted for chuck and chisel sets totaling just shy of £400, the Axminster AC205WL seems identical to the clarke but am very tempted by the 305 model with more powerfull motor and hollow tailstock for boring and chuck set even though I'll have to borrow some to up my budget. I have a 12x10 shed/workshop but only able to fit in a benchtop lathe I would rather buy a new one with warranty than ebay for peace of mind, factor in fuel and time and the savings aren't so great i recently saw an old s/h tp go for £10 less than a new one so not worth the gamble. So basically the £200 extra for the lathe is an upgrade but are the axi chuck and chisel sets so much better
Malc

Simon aka SVB thanks but how do I get to a pm button is there a min post count to get to as with some other forums am always interested in tips and advice Malc

Simon aka SVB thanks but how do I get to a pm button is there a min post count to get to as with some other forums am always interested in tips and advice Malc
Ask the question on the forum.
And then everyone gets the benefit. :)

Hi all I've been on this site for ages enjoying reading the posts I now want to learn turning as a therapy for my depression I've been buying a few tools recently but also had a spell off work sick. I may buy a clarke mini lathe @ £191 but have seen Lidle have a variable speed lathe available next Sunday for £60 are they any good for a learner or should I stretch to the clarke that would have a resale value if things didn't work out
Thanks Malc

I noticed the Lidl one (or a friend of mine did) and we are both going to get one. I have never used a lathe in my life but I have had a strong interest for a good couple of years. I almost got a lathe last year but somehow talked myself out of it as I don't have a couple of hundred quid I can write off if I didn't like turning. At £60 it has convinced me to try one out.

Last edited:
From what I read Garno, there's nothing more likely to turn you off turning than using one. So why throw good money after bad?
Search lidl aldi lathes in Advanced Search there's at least three threads right at the top of the list saying as such. Search results for query: aldi lathe
There's a certain point that danger (or at least uncertainty) and tool inconsistency become an anathema to enjoying using it especiallly as a new user. I'm not a turner although I have done a bit on a pole lathe and if I wanted an affordable option that I could make myself (I know it's rather more energetic than an electric lathe...) but that's where I'd start rather than use that lidl/aldi tosh. (I use some lidl/adli tools that are great btw).
Just my opinion my friend. Don't mean to upset anyone.

You are right Chris but it is down to affordability at the moment. I am hoping that the little Lidl one will give me at least a glimmer into the world of turning, even on a bad machine it will give me a rough idea. (Not forgetting I have upto 30 days to return it).
Also it will take more than that to upset me, now if the meat is still bleading when we visit that will upset me :giggle:

Last edited:
Back