Parkside compressor - a lemon?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Val

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

A couple of days ago I've bought a Parkside compressor, oil-free 50L 1800W PVKO 50 A1 model, as I plan to use it for some light spray painting and it was on offer at my local Lidl (offers in NI are different than in GB).
However, after assembly I realised that if I keep the pressure on the outlet at more than basically 0, I can feel (and hear!) air hissing from around the front 2 outlets. This is even without hose attached. Do you think the unit is defective? I also noticed that the pressure in the tank decreases by 1bar a day if not kept on, even if pressure at the outlet is kept at 0.
Is it normal behaviour for a cheap compressor? I got it for 130 quid so I was ready for some compromises, but I want to know if I actually have a defective unit.

Thanks everyone in advance for the help

1613995424133.png

I would think it's defective.
Good thing about Lidl is the guarantee.
In this case, so soon after you bought it, it doesn't even need to be defective for you to take it back.

BTW did you notice if the retractable airline was in stock.
It didn't come in to either store nearest me?

as it looks to have come with euro connectors (great fittings but can have issues with long term seating of the valve) have you tried plugging an air line in and out a few times to settle them.
I'd also check if they've been taped at the screw as both these are fairly common issues.

take it back, swap for another if they have one in stock. I wouldn't waste any time trying to troubleshoot or fix a brand new item.

I would think it's defective.
Good thing about Lidl is the guarantee.
In this case, so soon after you bought it, it doesn't even need to be defective for you to take it back.

BTW did you notice if the retractable airline was in stock.
It didn't come in to either store nearest me?
I didn’t see any retractable hose, sorry. I was actually looking for it as well (Lidl in Shore Road).

If this hissing is not normal I will return it. I don’t think they have another one as the one I got was the only one available, but you never know. In case I think I need suggestions for a good compressor😄

as it looks to have come with euro connectors (great fittings but can have issues with long term seating of the valve) have you tried plugging an air line in and out a few times to settle them.
I'd also check if they've been taped at the screw as both these are fairly common issues.
Yeah, I tried that but it didn’t work, the hissing and the air leak are still there. I think it comes from the base of the two attachments.
The top connector actually was stuck and it was impossible to connect the hose, I had to “yank” it several times before it returned back to its position (I guess quick attachment spring not seated correctly).

I think I need suggestions for a good compressor😄
I bought a Sealey 50L 2HP last week because I needed it before one would be available in Lidl.
If I had been buying in lidl I would have bought the other one not the upright like yours.
Anyway I'm not going to recommend the Sealey.
With it being new and all, I decided I would look after it and drain it every night etc.
You know the way you do for the first week or two, lol.
Anyway the drain wouldn't open so I had to resort to pliers, which shattered the pot metal screw. When I say pot metal, that's being quite complementary, I can't think of anything flimsy enough to describe it, diecast model cars are more robust.
I ordered up a new brass replacement, no point taking it back to be replaced with the same.

I bought a Sealey 50L 2HP last week because I needed it before one would be available in Lidl.
If I had been buying in lidl I would have bought the other one not the upright like yours.
Anyway I'm not going to recommend the Sealey.
With it being new and all, I decided I would look after it and drain it every night etc.
You know the way you do for the first week or two, lol.
Anyway the drain wouldn't open so I had to resort to pliers, which shattered the pot metal screw. When I say pot metal, that's being quite complementary, I can't think of anything flimsy enough to describe it, diecast model cars are more robust.
I ordered up a new brass replacement, no point taking it back to be replaced with the same.
well, I still don't know what compressor I should buy, but at least now I know which one I shouldn't :D

Today I will decide if I want to try to fix what I think is a leak, or if I'm going to return it. Honestly it looks like any compressor under £350 is going to have one kind of problem or the other.

One thing I would like to figure out however is if it is normal that the tank will lose pressure over time (like, almost 1bar a day) even if not used. Does anyone have good experience with compressors?

1 bar a day isn't that bad. It is an entry level compressor after all.
As said above, if in doubt, take it back.

How is the noise of that compressor ? Is it the terrifying old whiney brushed thing or good induction goodness ? I can deal with leaks (if not the fittings themselves)...

I've got a couple of compressors - a 50L 2HP noisy beast that is about 25 years old and works fine but has always leaked down slowly. I could never be bothered finding where it leaked as it was so slow it didn't really bother me. I have a small 12L one I use with a Lidl 18G nailer - whole combi works well and it doesn't leak but because I often use it in the house its a blessing as it isn't constantly on. They are both noisy.
Can't you take it back and swap it out for another one? Lidl are good with returns IME.
On the drain valve have you thought of replacing the screw with a pipe and lever valve. Makes it much easier to drain.

Hi,
I have this model, it sits under my open bench, and it is very quiet, don't need ear defenders on when it's running. Holds pressure well too. Had it about 18 months, got it when on offer at @ £130.
It replaced an Aldi one which had died after 3 years, and basically was carp in comparison.

20210223_173419.jpg

Thank you for the suggestion, Sachakins! I'll have a look at this model. Is it available with a 50L tank? I see yours is 25L.

I have to say that this Parkside compressor is REALLY loud - the sticker says 93db but I wouldn't be surprised if it is even louder. When it is working I have to use ear defenders or otherwise it's going to be painful. On the other hand, it takes only 2 minutes or less to go from zero to 10 bars pressure for 50L. I initially wanted to buy this model from Hyundai, but they want 70 quid to ship it to NI bringing the price to £370! I can put some ear defenders on for £240 :D However, I think thisHyundai model has also more CFMs than the Parkside, but I only need to use it for light painting and maybe a nailing gun so it should be fine.
1614102481780.png

How is the noise of that compressor ? Is it the terrifying old whiney brushed thing or good induction goodness ? I can deal with leaks (if not the fittings themselves)...
I honestly don't know if it's brushed or brushless, but it is loud as heck. So I suspect the latter, right?

I think mine was rated at 65 decibel, but I think it's quieter than that.
As another poster said, the quick detach fittings can be a big source of leakage, I try and clean mine weekly, and give them a few in and a out connections with out pressure to help them seat better in their seals.

I have a little Aldi one which is handy as it's portable, which my shop compressor certainly isn't. Very noisy but been very reliable. All my stuff uses pcl fittings, not cheap but so much better than the rubbish ones fitted to it, they need to go in the bin.

Hi everyone,

A couple of days ago I've bought a Parkside compressor, oil-free 50L 1800W PVKO 50 A1 model, as I plan to use it for some light spray painting and it was on offer at my local Lidl (offers in NI are different than in GB).
However, after assembly I realised that if I keep the pressure on the outlet at more than basically 0, I can feel (and hear!) air hissing from around the front 2 outlets. This is even without hose attached. Do you think the unit is defective? I also noticed that the pressure in the tank decreases by 1bar a day if not kept on, even if pressure at the outlet is kept at 0.
Is it normal behaviour for a cheap compressor? I got it for 130 quid so I was ready for some compromises, but I want to know if I actually have a defective unit.

Thanks everyone in advance for the help

I have one for sale on Gumtree at present - out in Donaghadee. 50l and 2hp. It is a few years old but maybe used once a year, sometimes once every two years. Blowing up car tyres or blowing out an air lock when I used to forget to order oil. It may do you.

Edit: it is not oil-less.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back