Parkinsons Model F No 8 vise restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sploo

Somewhat extinguished member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I picked up an unknown model vise from a local seller via a Facebook listing.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

After stripping back the two layers of (not original) paint it revealed itself to be a Parkinsons Model-F No 8. A good wash followed by drying (don't tell the wife) and the remains of the original red paint were clear:

06.jpg

I went on a few (rather pointless) rounds of filling and spraying dust coats to try to fix up some of the cosmetic dents and cuts:

07.jpg

08.jpg

At the "good enough" point, a final primer coat went on:

09.jpg

Followed by a dark red that turned out to be a bit brighter than desired:

10.jpg

The original handle was badly corroded and bent, so I cut it off and made a new one on the lathe:

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Lathe not big enough to sand and polish the screw? Make a DIY "lathe":

14.jpg

I'd had a go at hand painting the lettering (a drunk blind guy would be proud), and put a few coats of a 2K-from-a-can clear over the top. Parts ready for assembly:

15.jpg

And "done":

16.jpg

Next up was some new jaws, as the original (cast?) jaws were cracked:

17.jpg

18.jpg

Skimmed on the mill for a better fit:

19.jpg

And definitely now done:

20.jpg

21.jpg

I have some aluminium that I plan to use to make some magnetic soft jaws in the near future, so when I get round to that I'll update the thread.

fantastic job on a true alpha-vise - well done.

I see you're in W Yorks - so, just for interest ---- although vices were made in Brum and London, and Sheffield later became the UK vice-making centre, in the early days (1850-1920?) of cast iron vices, Bradford was definitely where it was at - several unmarked fine woodworking vices, Woodhead vice (later the maker in Leeds of suspension springs and shocks for rail and road), then patents for quick release from Syers and Entwistle&Kenyon then the big one - Parky -- all Bradford/Shipley/Keighley. --- something in the (smokey) air

ps - I think the original jaws would be high carbon tool steel with milled serrations, correctly heat treated, but they'd have had a long working life - looks like your vise is ready for its next 100 plus years.

Last edited:
fantastic job on a true alpha-vise - well done.

I see you're in W Yorks - so, just for interest ---- although vices were made in Brum and London, and Sheffield later became the UK vice-making centre, in the early days (1850-1920?) of cast iron vices, Bradford was definitely where it was at - several unmarked fine woodworking vices, Woodhead vice (later the maker in Leeds of suspension springs and shocks for rail and road), then patents for quick release from Syers and Entwistle&Kenyon then the big one - Parky -- all Bradford/Shipley/Keighley. --- something in the (smokey) air

ps - I think the original jaws would be high carbon tool steel with milled serrations, correctly heat treated, but they'd have had a long working life - looks like your vise is ready for its next 100 plus years.
Thanks. I would have to admit that I wasn't previously aware of Parkinsons, and I see they were in Shipley for some time. When I bought the vise neither I nor the owner knew the brand (though he'd bought it locally some decades before). Good to know it's considered a decent brand.

No serrations on the jaws, so maybe they weren't the originals. They were very brittle.

From what I've seen some models had a bridge shaped casting that held the sliding plate for the quick release. The fact this one has a much simpler small steel plate leads me to guess it's probably a later build, though I don't actually know the date.

The mechanicals were fine and needed nothing more than a clean and re-grease, and now it's silky smooth. Considering it must have taken some force (due to the bent lever) I'll take that as an indicator it's well built.

Back