• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Parkinson Perfect Vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Crispym

Reaction score
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! I just drilled out the 5/16 BSW screw, used a tap of the same size and saved the internal thread! I is a happy bunny. :)

Having a closer look at the undercarriage, I've found a stamped number. Can't quite read it yet but wonder what it might be - a casting number perhaps? That would be interesting.

IMG_3480.JPEG

Here's a pic of the qr bar and the screw. Nice big divot out of the screw and I wonder if the bar is a retrofit with that yellow paint(?) on it.
IMG_3481.JPEG

And here are a couple of pics of the whole beastie.
IMG_3483.JPEG
IMG_3484.JPEG

Stay tuned for the next instalment folks!

Garden Shed Projects

Established Member
Reaction score
Well done on the screw removal 👍.
Tha damage to the screw is curious, looking at the width of it I don’t suppose it will have any affect on the qr mechanism. It would be interesting to know how it happened, that steel is pretty hard.

TominDales

Established Member
Reaction score
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! I just drilled out the 5/16 BSW screw, used a tap of the same size and saved the internal thread! I is a happy bunny. :)

Having a closer look at the undercarriage, I've found a stamped number. Can't quite read it yet but wonder what it might be - a casting number perhaps? That would be interesting.

View attachment 121645
Here's a pic of the qr bar and the screw. Nice big divot out of the screw and I wonder if the bar is a retrofit with that yellow paint(?) on it.
View attachment 121646
And here are a couple of pics of the whole beastie.
View attachment 121647 View attachment 121648
Stay tuned for the next instalment folks!
Good progress. The bar is not that mechanically critical. I've replaced a bar on the one I found in our house cellar, for some reason the bar and QR mechanism was missing. However the paint could indicated that the vice had some pretty rough uses, ie spilt or dripping paint from a job where the part was held in the vice. The divot indicates something pretty hairy happened, the bars are the most vulnerable part to being fractured, worth looking to see if they have been welded. I wonder if the divot was cased by a slip with an angle grinder, that would be the most benign explanation. a blunt instrument at high speed would have caused more widespread damage to the bars etc. Unless the screw and the bar are salvage from another vice. It is 100 years old after all.
on my MkII i find the mechanism is prone to slip when loosening but fine on tightening. Its not an issue as it can loosed with the QR after a few turns. You may find a similar effect. How is the large half nut? does that have a divot cut out.

Crispym

Reaction score
I've done some drill wire brushing today to remove the worst of the corrosion. Here are some pics of the bars and the junction with the face plate. Difficult to tell if welding has taken place but, if not, that's some ugly looking casting in the second pic (like I'm an expert :whistle:).
IMG_3491.JPEG
IMG_3493.JPEG
Top of slidesUnderside
IMG_3494.JPEG
IMG_3496.JPEG
Inner & outerInner & outer other side
IMG_3497.JPEG
Full length

There is a wee bit of slight damage to the threads in the half-nut but not enough to affect the function I'm sure.

Crispym

Reaction score
Hello peeps, time for an update after a bit of gap as it's been a while since I've been able to do any work on the beast.
The degreasing has been done and a final rub down.
IMG_3512.JPEG

IMG_3514.JPEG

Remember the stamping I found on the fixed chassis? Here it is cleaned up: 'No 10 BB'
IMG_3511.JPEG

Found another stamp on the half-nut. Looks like '10 8 12 B'. Would be fab if that's the casting date!
IMG_3510.JPEG

I've treated the hidden parts like the qr bar and nut, spring and half-nut with shellac.
Now getting ready to paint the rest with smooth Hammerite in ruby red. Looking forward to that but need to work out what not to paint. Won't be doing the screw - that'll get greased - but I guess the sliding surfaces on the arms should be clean too.
Any other pointers?

TRITON

Established Member
Reaction score
Tha damage to the screw is curious
It's probably from pushing it shut without using the lever. And maybe its only that section as for most of the time in its life it only ever got opened that far.
When I push mine shut it makes a dr dr dr dr dr dr sound which it the spring on the QR jumping as the mechanism moves. I'd say its that.

Crispym

Reaction score
I take that as 10 &12 BB
As in, it fits both.
Cheers
Andy
Ah yes, looking at it in that context, it does look more like an ampersand - so it fits my No. 10 BB :). Did think it a little strange that a date would be put on that individual piece! Thanks Andy.

It's probably from pushing it shut without using the lever. And maybe its only that section as for most of the time in its life it only ever got opened that far.
I did wonder that too but then thought it's too localised - I would expect years of pushing shut without the lever would spread the wear around the screw. @TominDales suggestion above of the angle grinder slip seems quite likely to me: previous user was holding something with vise wide open to cut with the grinder and it went through too quickly or just slipped off the workpiece and into the screw. Hope the worker was wearing their brown corduroys. :poop::giggle:

As an aside, I'm pleased to find a use (i.e. protecting my bench) for the kilometres of packing paper that Amazon so kindly supply when I order a pack of toothpicks.

Latest posts