Paring Chisel ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
While trying out the new wet grinder that I got from B&Q, I looked though a pile of old tools for an old chisel to test the grinder with. :oops:

Well this is one of the finds that was lurking at the bottom of the heap.
Dscn2860s.jpg

Would this be classed as a paring chisel? It has a stamp on the blade.
Dscn2862s.jpg

Which means nothing to me, but then what do I know!

The chisel ground well and has taken a very keen edge, bald spot on arm is now stubbly :roll:

Dave,

It is a bit short for a paring chisel - although it could of course have been ground down considerably over its life. It is a firmer chisel (square sides) probably of good steel, although I don't know of that particular make (there were hundreds of Sheffield makers at one time) .

There is no reason you couldn't use it for paring and the angle at which the handle is set suggests it was used for this - although the tang may simply be bent.

Dave,

I agree with Chris, it's a firmer; it's a bit beefy for a paring chisel, even a shortened one. F(rancis) G(eorge) Pearson & Co operated between 1856 and 1957 and "Acute" was their trademark. I expect it's good quality cast steel, and I bet it'll be a lovely user. :D

Cheers, Alf

Back