Parf guide rental

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshjosh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm looking to build an 8x4 mft top and wondered if anyone had a parf guide system they'd like to rent me? If not I'll look to build my own jig
Cheers Josh

Is there a reason that you don't want to buy a CNC top and want to make your own?

I just bought a custom sized mft top on ebay. Nicely made in18mm Ply. 1250 mm x 600mm. Cost £70 including delivery. I thought about doing my own with the parf system, but decided on getting one made up instead. Saved a lot of messing around.

I don't own a parf guide/dog hole set up but if I were going to get one I definitely would get a pre-cut and drilled top for the sake of a little extra on top of material cost. The amount of time and brain-strain saved in my mind would be well worth it, and any inaccuracies in the top is accountable to them and they'll have to replace it, not to lousy layout and then you have to chuck the whole top away.

Yes I see what you guys are saying about a CNCed top being the better option, but I've already built the torsion box bottom and middle and have a sheet of 22mm mrmdf ready to be used as a top, plus I'm building an 8x4 table and the pre drilled tops I saw of that size were a bit more money

As the good people suggest, I would pay a bit extra and have a cnc one. Getting anything square is a challenge at the best of times, so you might as well give yourself a fighting chance otherwise you will be carrying forward any inaccuracies to everything you make.

You will find lots of other uses for the sheet you have already bought.

Mrs C":1km574m8 said:
As the good people suggest, I would pay a bit extra and have a cnc one. Getting anything square is a challenge at the best of times, so you might as well give yourself a fighting chance otherwise you will be carrying forward any inaccuracies to everything you make.

Mrs C":1km574m8 said:

Makes sense , I'll rule out making my own jig
But the parf guide looks very accurate if I can get my hands on one, or a jig to router from that's been cnced, I can't really justify spending the money getting a pre drilled 8x4 sheet at the moment
Thanks for the advice

Steve Maskery":5lzgln9x said:
Where are you? I have a CNCd template you could use. You would need a 1/2" cutter and a 30mm guide bush for your router.

That'd be great
I'm in Leeds, where about are you? What size is the template?
Cheers Josh

I'm in Kirkby-in-Ashfield, just off M1J28, so not a million miles away if you want to come and get it. I'll make you a cuppa.
It does the full width of a standard sheet and you just index it up as far as you want to go. It's too big to ship, really. Packaging it up would be a pain.

The other option is to make your top without the parf guide system.
Check out the YouTube channel of Rag 'n' bone Brown for his "Making an MFT top - No CNC, no jigs"

That (above) was an absolutely excellent video. Simple and plenty accurate enough.

I made mine by using mathematical marking out and checking with nautical dividers. Basically cost nothing.

Steve Maskery":17goeosx said:
I'm in Kirkby-in-Ashfield, just off M1J28, so not a million miles away if you want to come and get it. I'll make you a cuppa.
It does the full width of a standard sheet and you just index it up as far as you want to go. It's too big to ship, really. Packaging it up would be a pain.

Thanks , I've just seen you can get a CNC jig with dogs for about £60 if I take off the price of the dogs and fuel there and back twice, probably works out better for me to just buy one, but thank you very much for the offer

Back