Parcelforce Release fee

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
Received a letter this morning from Parcelforce explaining that they were holding a parcel for me which could be released once the duty and Parcelforce Clearance fee had been paid.

The items are only small, the cost low and the duty payable is small (a tenner) but what's with the cleaance fee (£13.50)!

I am about to get my angry boots on but before I do, can anyone advise me of the legitimacy of this charge. I arranged delivery through USPS. There are details all over the letter for contact points for HMCE should I wish to complain about that (which I don't) but nothing about the fee (which I do wish to complain about)

Cheers

T

I have been down the very long route of disputing customs charges TWICE and lost on both occaisions! They just will not listen to you. I wrote letters, sent proof, etc, etc.

I'm not disputing the customs charges - its the parcelforce release fee.

I have already paid a postge charge to one supplier which was contracted to deliver the item to my door not a parcelforce warehouse!

Cheers

Tim

Tim, suspect you're on a loser here, so leave the boots off.....
What, essentially, you are paying for is for somebody to fill in a form or account for the duty. Just a further revenue gathering source for the carrier. Although having said that isn't there a threshold for the value of goods brought in? Or is that just a "baggage allowance" for travellers?

Noel

Tim, I have a nasty feeling you're stuffed. Clearance fees and handling charges stink, and Parcelforce's seem to be one of the stinkiest, but I think they're perfectly entitled. :( Dunno if Simon will see this thread, but I know he's complained bitterly of them before, so at least you're not the only one. If that helps. Probably not. Forget I mentioned it. I'll go now. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Thanks guys.

I've decided to 'chalk it up'.

No point raising my blood pressure talking to a monkey who couldn't find his backside with a torch and a stick and who uses phrases like 'in as regards to' on a Monday morning.

Off to do creative things in the workshop to counter the influence of the evil bureaucracy gods.

Cheers

Tim

According to the lovely shipping ladies here at work if the package is worth over £50 it's likely to be an administration charge. Porcel Farce have to clear the package through customs and it's probably that you're paying for. No harm in politely asking them what the charge is for or how they've cleared the package through customs.

I found Parcelforce so unhelpful in the past, particularly picking stuff up from their depot, that I now ask suppliers who delivers their goods. If necessary, I use a different supplier.

Bob

Parcelforce...? :-k USPS...? :-k Customs duty...? :-k
Yep, this is definitely sounding like a little gloat coming on. =P~
Praise to the build up Tim, and nicely wrapped up in "complain about the fee" disguise. =D>
Philly could learn a thing or two... :D

PS. Sorry about the release fee.
:(

Not only did I get stitched up with a "release" fee, but the depo was Redhill - about 20 miles away :x Good job I drive past on my way to work :? .

Someone was telling me recently about turning up only to be told you "have to ring in advance". The guy was adament, you have to ring. "any time required between ringing and turning up?". "Nope" said mr jobsworth. "OK". quick step outside, ring from mobile, hear it ringing inside. Phone answered.... walk back in office... pick up parcel. Unbelievable.

Adam

Mmm..jobsworths. Reminds me of when I used to commute into London from Watford Junction. There was an Intercity train that was 'drop-off' only...but then non-stop to London..so a good bet to get on it if it was on-time rather than the slow chugalugg.

One day the trains were up the creek and the conversation went like this.

me.."Can you please tell me what platform the next Intercity for London is coming in on?'

jobsworth..."There is no Intercity train for London"

me.."OK - hypothetically...if there was an Intercity train coming in for London, what platform would it be coming in on"...thinking he had a sense of humour

jobsworth.."Hypothetically, there is no Intercity train picking up passengers for London"

me..determined to win this one..."I'm meeting someone off the Manchester Intercity train. Can you please tell me which platform They will be arriving on?"

Jobsworth..."Platform 3 in 5 minutes time".

Result :lol:

Aragorn":agkmnwh4 said:
Parcelforce...? :-k USPS...? :-k Customs duty...? :-k
Yep, this is definitely sounding like a little gloat coming on. =P~
Praise to the build up Tim, and nicely wrapped up in "complain about the fee" disguise. =D>
Philly could learn a thing or two... :D

Actually its just a quick release collet and some sleeves. :wink: O:)

- the other stuff that you refer to came from the Uk or was brought back from Canada by my Father in law when he happened to go to Lee Valley .#-o :-# :whistle:

Cheers

Tim

Hmmm... this is turning into a rant about carriers... can't believe it really, they have a very difficult job and are faced daily with parcels that physically disappear from the face of the earth and it is very rare that things go wrong...

Don't get me started about carriers... :evil:

The Royal mail made over £500 million profit in the last 12 months since they introduced their release fee as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can we have another election please Mr. Blair.

tim":1qhxfoev said:
The other stuff that you refer to came from the Uk or was brought back from Canada by my Father in law when he happened to go to Lee Valley .#-o :-# :whistle:
Ah!!! Sheer class! =D> =D>
Just consulted the Official Gloating Dictionary only to find you have scored one of Alf's Gloat Floats.
Masterful.

Back