Parana Pine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karhula

Reaction score
Hi everyone:)

I've just bought a new house and on my ceiling, I have 70 kvm of parana pine. Does any of you know if theres a market for this, since I want to sell it. If there is, what is the approximate price.

Hope you can help me :?

Rikke, CPH

there is a market for just about every form and type of timber from firewood to high class joinery and cabinet making. it will be dependant on sizes and condition as to whether it comes under firewood or anything else.
what is a kvm?
all the best
rob

Will you be bringing it to the UK? Postage might be a bit expensive!

But seriously, it's not the sort of thing that has a standard price. So much good timber is thrown away that I think not many people see its value. And Parana is not at all common these days - I think it's on an endangered species list for new timber.

It all depends on finding someone who needs it and getting it to the right place. Is eBay popular in Denmark? It is probably the best way to find someone who will give you anything for it.

Quite a nice timber too, used to use it in the 1980s. I like the variety of colours and it planes up nicely. Only down side is the smell - just like sick!

As you can't buy P Pine anymore it should fetch a reasonable price. I made some doors from it last year to match others in a house and had to resort to veneering 4 sides of MDF strips to make the styles and rails from what little I had salvaged from that house on previous jobs..

Price will really depend on if someone is in the market for the timber at the time and also what size the pieces are and whether there are screw/nail holes. For those doors I would quite happily paid over £100 cu ft if it was available as that would still have worked out cheaper than the labour to do all the veneering.

J

Karhula,

Parana Pine trees grow in isolation; and consequently are tall, straight and clear.

The seeds are distributed by birds that have eaten them and I believe the seed HAS to go through a bird's digestive system in order to to germinate. It was once fairly plentiful, and used extensively widow-sill board. It isn't so plentiful now, and I don't think you will find much of it being imported these days. (If any). So yes, I would say your timber has a market value. It's easy to work with, can have striking grain pattern and high colour. It is a little soft for furniture that has to take a bit of a bashing. All the same I like the stuff, and I have hoarded some old boards that I'll use for cupboard door frames.

HTH :)

Was very popular in the 1970's & 80's for fitting out narrow boats, machined into t&g boards and used to line out the cabins. Still come across it now from time to time. I believe it is actually a hardwood from Brazil and not a true pine at all. As a previous poster said it is now on the endangered list and no longer imported. An acquaintance of mine apparently bought the last of Travis Perkins stock about six years ago.

Richard

Back