Paramo Vice jamming up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevekane

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, had a look at a neighbours engineers quick release vice today, its a large Paramo version of the Record type. A screw had fallen out of the saddle plate that holds the Half Nut in and he had reassembled it with the plate upside down. The intresting thing is that once put back together the screw action is very tight, everything is straight and nothing is binding except the collar on the screw where it bears on the retaining plate that holds the screw in place,,I would have expected both these parts, the retaining plate and the collar to be worn and perhaps loose rather than tight,,we tried tapping it gently to see if it settled but with the two screws snugged up the vice was getting towards being unuseable,,,in the end we have placed a couple of bits of very thin packing under the plate and its now working perfectly,,but its annoying,,any ideas anyone?
Ps its tight at all points of both the handle and the screw,,
Steve.

No, thats the odd thing, its now quite clean but nip up the two screws on the front plate and the main screw is then binding, part of the job was completed by my neighbour and I think I really need to strip it out and take a proper look at it,,still its dificult to guess why its so tight, esp as its probably something subjected to wear!

Well the mystery continues, the vice has a machined collar just forward of the handle, this sits behind a retaining plate secured with two screws, the retaining plate is formed so that the collar sits inside it,,,over years of use you would have expected the two faces either side of the collar to have become a little worn and it to be rather loose,,,but nip up the screws and it nips the collar tight,,Ive stripped out the screw and there is nothing in it, no assembly options, no shims, no nothing! Ive packed out the plate with a couple of thin alloy shims and its all working just great,,but its annoying as apparantly it was okay until it fell apart? The set up above is I suspect the same on Record vices.

Back