Paper (roll of) for drum sander - does it make much difference?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianf

Established Member
Reaction score
Axminster kindly post the template for the paper for my new (second hand) drum sander.

The lengths need to be 2730 x 102mm apparently.

Id rather cut these from a 50m roll than pay £35 a hit from Axminister, but then there are so many rolls to choose from!

I mean, i looked at this online shop ( https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk...lls/filter/ironmongery_sizemm>{115mm20x2050m} ) and there are three different types of Mirka paper there alone!

The off-the-shelf drum sander papers (precut) always just look like common brown paper.

Shall i just roll the dice and take my chance?

Thank you.

Mirka Avomax will be fine. I used to use this when I had a drum sander. Initially I used to cut the width down to 70mm to match the drum but then I fitted a new clip in a different position so that the full 115mm belt could be used.

Thank you.

The unit I have specifies 102mm and the paper is 115mm. I can't work out the geometry in my head as to if I'll need to trim the paper or just change the angle of the spiral slightly and the length.

If I was clever there would probably be some maths way of working it out.

Did you reposition the clip by cutting another slot in the drum? Most of them that I see have a slot in the face of the drum and a sprung clip behind?

The geometry is easy to work out. Just roll the abrasive around the cylinder a couple times so that the edges touch nicely then simply mark off where the first roll ends and that will give you the end (or is it the beginning?) of the taper. If the abrasive does not fit comfortably in the clip(s) use double sided sticky tape to hold it on. However this will probably leave with a sticky mess to clean up when you change the loading.
Brian

If you want a link to the “maths”, here’s something worth watching Drum sander

Thank you. The end of that video highlighted my concern.

I don't think that the angle is fixed.

Sure, if you use the circumference of the drum to set the truncation length on the end of the roll, then that sets the angle, which sets the final clamp position, which, if I used a thicker belt, won't be in the right place, but...

If I choose to have incomplete coverage at the ends of the drum (ie a gap, but only right at the end) then I think I can then change the angle of the spiral, which will then alter the end position, and, possibly, line it up with the clamp.

Latest posts

Back