Panic stations can anyone help please..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecoder

Established Member
Reaction score
My dilema is that I have only been making things with wood for a few months and the sum total of my experience is making my woodwork benches and planters for the garden etc...Anyhow over the summer a couple of neighbours have seen my planters and have asked if I would make some for them , which I have done and they seem to have been pleased with them.

Anyway another neighbour and friend is a Vicar and has asked if I could make a window for the Church (this is a stage prop) to be used in a church play for the local children.

the dimensions I am not too sure of until I call at the Church to check..

My question is what would be the best way to tackle this project, would I be better making a frame and using MDF over the top. ?...I really would appreciate anyones help on ideas for the best way forward if anyone can help please.

Stage props can be made from 8' high x 4' wide sections using 2x1 dressed as framing and ply or h/board or mdf thin thicknesses as covering, stapled or nailed on. Then you can cut out the window panes then paint the framing on with window box etc. The sheets can be painted or wall papered as room or wall. The 8x4 sheets can be connected together and back supported by 3/2/5 frames and braced. This is how a lot of the sets for stages are done and can be purchased for play or panto specific. I used to make these for local theatres as the hiring can be costly.

Or you can make a timber framed wall and mok up a window depending on the use or look you desire.

The first method is cheapest and does the bit as long as you have some basic art skills.

A lot will depend on the size they want, which I imagine may be for some sort of Christmas tableau. Ally's method can be used for any stage sets, but the size he gives (8' x 4') may be much more than you need in this case.

Edwin":3p3684fo said:
A lot will depend on the size they want, which I imagine may be for some sort of Christmas tableau. Ally's method can be used for any stage sets, but the size he gives (8' x 4') may be much more than you need in this case.

Hi Edwin

Yes its for a Tableau and on measuring it will need to be about 2.5 ft x 3ft sit on a table and obviously have some kind of suport...it does not need any type of glazing etc...

Dave

Hello Dave,

For something as small as that, I would use a piece of ply or MDF (6mm or so) of the dimensions you give, and two pieces of 2"X2" softwood 18" or so long. Near the end of each piece cut a slot across the width just wide enough to take the ply or MDF, and about half the depth of the softwood. Glue the MDF/ply into the slots. You can weight down (sand in a Tesco bag might be ideal) the long projections of softwood, which would be away from the viewer, behind the window. Any 2"x2" showing at the front could easily be hidden by other stuff in the tableau. I'm not sure whether the window lights are to be painted on or cut out. If the latter, the cutting out would be easier to do before assembly. The painting should probably be done at the end.

This may sound more elaborate than it is; it's actually a very quick method.

Edwin

Back