Panelling under stairs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teckel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all
Just wondering what way would you do this panelling for the underside of a stairs. The third rail down has to stay in that position because its covering the joint between the two sheets. This is the way I have it done. 4 panels are the same size and the centre one is half the size of one panel.
Its just a couple of pins holding it up no glue. If you can tell me a different way of doing it that will look good I would be very greatful.

stairs...jpg

Attachments

• stairs...jpg
    stairs...jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 210
Two ideas spring to mind, but perhaps more drastic than you desire:

1) replace panelling with plasterboard, either jointed if tapered edge boards are used, or skimmed. Then nice even flat surface results which is also easy to emulsion.

2) consider building storage cupboards in the space - bottom of stairs will be hidden and somewhere to store whatever...

Alternatively, if something more simple is required, how about adding extra rails over the top of the longer panels (suitably filled, caulked etc) so that all panels match the half-size one?

HTH

If you want to keep it timber panelled and want a better looking layout then you are going to have to cut the boards so any joints fall under the timber, thats what I would do and keep all panels the same length.

J

Latest posts

Back