Panelled Oak Storage Chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodshavings

Established Member
Reaction score
Just completed it but having difficulty in loading image pictures !!!
2-picture3.jpg

John

Hi John,

Nice chest :) I am not sure quite why it does not link in the normal way :( but if you cut and paste the link into the browser address it displays correctly :shock:

Hi Dave - thanks for your response. Thats what I found - if I cut and paste it works. I have just spent ages setting up my "how it was made" pics just to find they did not work. I have removed them and just placed the final picture so I can experiment a bit !!!

Anyone any ideas what is wrong with the pic link??

John

Let's try it this way:
2-picture3.jpg

Rgds

Noel

PS Nope, doesn't like it. Maybe freeserve/wanadoo doesn't like links. Can't see too much wrong with the URL.

Here it is on uploadit.org
2-picture3.jpg

Fantastic chest, would be interested in the how do's when you get the pics sorted.

Good one Chris. Wondered what all the baloney was after JPG. Even tried to take out the ? after JPG. Well done. No doubt Mr Adam will laughing at us...

Rgds

Noel

Thanks for your help guys .. I will try again now !!!!

The Chest is made from 17 meters of 25mm x125 sawn stock, supplied by S&L hardwoods.
Some was not the straightest I've used! Also their delivery was awful - took 4 weeks :(
2-picture1.jpg

I ripped the 125 mm to 80mm for the panels and 40 mm for the rails.
The 80mm was then resawn and thicknessed to 10 mm for the panels.
2-picture4.gif

All the stock was planned and thicknessed on my Maxi 26.

The construction used Stile and Rail joints that were machined using a combination cutter on the Maxi Spindle Moulder. The corner stiles have two profiles machined at 90 degrees.

2-picture2.jpg

The rails were fitted thus:-
2-picture5.gif

The panels were raised also using the Maxi Spindle Moulder

3-picture1.jpg

The top is made from 3 widths of 22 mm thickness, biscuit jointed together. The chest floor and dividers are from plywood.

2-picture3.jpg
2-picture6.jpg

The chest was finished using sanding sealer and French Polish.

I dont know if this qualifies as an entry in the competition - its certainly a box with a lid, allbeit a big one ! Its also my first project involving any kind of frame or box construction - its been an interesting learning curve :)

John

John,
An excellent job indeed. That is an interesting corner joint - seems to work very well for the design. The finish looks great too. Congratulations.

Poor story on the timber supplier - I guess they had to grow it first!

John,

Glad you got the pictures up, worth the wait. :D

I have never made corners like that, its a good idea, filed away for future use, thanks. :)

I have never bought wood mail order due to my mistrusting nature, wood is a very subjective thing and I like to see what I am getting. :roll:

John,

Nice joints. I think it would make a rather suitable entry for the competition, but I ain't running it....

Rgds

Noel

Great project, John. The pictures are a bit small for these old eyes, but it looks beautiful - if you can work out how to post a bigger image, I for one would love to see it :).

Nice work John 8) ,
can't quite see if the top is detailed on the edge
or just rounded over?

TX

ps Tony could use this to keep his LN's in :wink:

Beautiful piece, my favourite timber and a very nice finish.

This spindle moulder must give a great pleasure to use, those joints are very interesting :D

One day I'll get my planer and I'll do something is solid Oak, one day... :?

Hi Tx,

The top rails are lipped with a detail trim. This is neccessary to cover the top of the stiles, otherwise the joint would show.

3-picture2.jpg

The lid edge was routed with an ogee.
3-picture3.jpg

Pete W, sorry about picture size - I am just getting the hang of this picture lark and are still working out how to size correctly !! :oops:

John,

Lovely job; and done even though hampered by the Maxi! :wink: Unless my fellow judges disagree (PM me chaps), consider yourself entered. :D

Cheers, Alf

woodshavings":3n0ekb4i said:
Pete W, sorry about picture size - I am just getting the hang of this picture lark and are still working out how to size correctly !! :oops:

Don't worry about it - it's a pleasure to see more detail :).

Back