Panelled doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
I've never made a loose panelled door before and I am considering how best to make the frame. The doors, 2 of them, will be approx 14" x 8". The panels will be approx 1/4" thick, and will be flat. I envisage using pegged M&Ts for the joints. The cabinet will be about 4" deep.

What thickness should the frames be to accommodate the panel and 1/4" M&Ts and would a 3/4" frame width be about right for the size of door?

Andy

Hi Andy

I'm not clear on a couple of points.

When you say "frame" do you mean the frame in which the door is inset (faceframe) or do you mean the frame of the frame-and-panel door?

3/4" thickness would be fine, but I would think that 3/4" width would be a bit narrow for the face-frame (25mm would be better) and very small for the door itself. I would make the two stiles and top rail of the door about 30mm and the bottom rail 40mm.

FWIW

Cheers
Steve

Steve, thanks. I meant the door frame. It is the proportions that I am worried about getting right.

I am interested in why you would make the lower rail wider than the top?

Andy

Cos it looks better that way. It's essential for cabinets at floor level, because of visual fore-shortening (see my article in the last GW) and it's advisable for wall cabinets. Not essential, perhaps, but draw it up on the wall and you will see what I mean.

This is where CAD is so useful.

Cheers
Steve

Steve, thanks.

It will be wall mounted so I will draw it up and see.

As for CAD, well I have dabbled with a few of the freebies and find them all a bit complicated. If my experiance of more straight forward software (word and excel for example) is anything to go by then if I did learn how to use it I am sure that I would forget most of it by the time it was next needed :lol:

Andy

As steve said but i tend to make doors on the upper part of a cabinet all the same size , unless there is a middle rail then the larger bottom and mid rails come into effect .
If its a stand alone piece i.e. a bathroom cabinet at eye level then i would make all the rails the same size for a small piece like yours . I used to set the rails out and then offer up the bottom and middle rails and then decide what size i wanted . Ive found that bottom rails larger than you would think give the door that old well built look rather than the ikea look but thats just IMHO :?

Steve/JFC

thanks for your comments. I tried pinning up a full scale drawing on the wall last night and to my more than uneducated eye I am not convinced about a wider lower rail. I expect in 3-D in might look different.

I think I will do as Steve suggested to start with as I can always reduce the lower rail down if required.

Andy

Back