panel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
sometime I have made some panels gluing boards by the edge.
When I had time to spend trimmed every board to exact dimension and after I glued all togheter.
When I hadn't time to spend and the job could be a little rough (SWMBO said.. how much time do you have to finish that shelve ??) I planned straight every edge and only after gluing I flattened the whole surface by hand plane.

Hence I was wondering...How the others make theirs shelves, panels with multi boards??

Cheers, Gabriele

I do this a lot for door panels and wider door rails. I do one face and square edge on the 2 pieces I'm going to join. Then cut/plane to size after jointing.
If you size before joining there is a chance that the surface won't be perfectly flat so you will have to plane/sand and end up with less than the desired thickness.

cheers
Jacob

Hi Geppetto

Do as Jacob says. I cross cut the wood to approximate length and include some waste. I then join the wood alternating the grain to avoid bowing, then cut again with table saw. Slight work is then all that is needed to finish by plane/sanding. :lol:

Whilst we're on the topic here's an interesting snap I took the other day. A very rare sight.
slotscrew1.jpg

It's rare because a slotted screw edge joint is usually impossible to separate except destructively, but this jointed board had been in a damp cellar for a long time and got dropped on one corner and the 2 pieces slid sideways otherwise I wouldn't have known how it was joined.
It's a really good traditional joint esp for tough stuff like table tops or stair treads, and not too hard to do.
You need to file off the screw heads flat so that they have a cutting edge, do a dry run very carefully - if you try too hard the screws bend and you can't separate the bits, then do the final run very quickly with lotsa glue - but tighten the screws first about half a turn so that they wedge in tight to the slot they have cut on the dry run.
MUCH stronger than a biscuit joint and you don't need any special kit.

cheers
Jacob

Do make sure they're well packed or use a filter tip.
Inhaling Hobnob crumbs is probably even more harmful than the effects of Dutch tabacco. :)

Latest posts

Back