Panel tissue box.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still proceeding. The far side of lid has been formed.

34w-4.jpg

Started preparing for the near front of lid. So will post again hopefully in a couple of days when all laminations are ready for the next stage.

35.jpg

devonwoody":3hk9y13n said:
Still proceeding. The far side of lid has been formed.

Top marks for patience! ;-)

Are you planning on cutting the two along the same central line to get a straight join between the two halves of the top? If so, have you given any thought to how you'll align the pieces for that cut, to ensure that the alternating pattern matches up on both sides?

Have you considered just bandsawing the one side you've already made in two, to get a perfectly-matched second half without having to re-laminate another load of strips?

(And I'm curious - are you going to make the top with a panel construction as well, or something else?)

Many thanks for Jake for that post, some of your comments had already come to mind and decisions made, some had not occured and now will be given consideration.
It is being built on the hoof so to speak. (Might want to post the top panel away to someone who has got a sander if my orbital sanders does not work with 60 grit.)

Resawing the first is a really good one.

I have finally got the laminations completed.

36w.jpg

Personally I am not happy about proceeding with these two pieces to make the lid for the above panel box, I feel it will be too busy and not attractive. So for the box already made I will make a plainer lid.

These laminations are going to be used for another box but the carcass will be more simple, just a plain maple.

I do not expect to make any progress again today, we are in the middle of another storm down here in Devon and its wet as well as cold so going to dream instead.

Attachments

• 36w.jpg
    36w.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 688
Well done John, as said, plenty of patience.

Noel, I think it is an age related thing. :wink:

What I think is worth knowing perhaps is that it was cheap PVA glue, and diluted by around 25% to 30% in an old jam jar for the week, put on like wallpaper paste, left in position for around 6 hours before releasing and hopefully it going to stay stable. It will have an outside frame to surround when used on its box.

Again the weather down here is too unpleasant for me in the workshop (over 3" of rain in the watergauge and still rising) so not a lot of shed time going on at the moment.

I agree with you about that lid being too much for the pannelled box. I did wonder when you started it, but wasnt sure.

It will look good on a plainer box though

Back in the ws., got back to work on many items outstanding at last.

Making a lid for this panel box was the priority and looked around for some timber and thought some sycamore with its colour tone would be suitable. This sycamore was purchased three years ago over the telephone, I requested a seasoned board suitable to work with immediately for my tissue boxes from the merchant.
When it arrived I ripped off a section and prepared some boards suitable for my boxes around 10mm thick. The next day going into the ws I found the timber had distorted to such an extent it obviously was not seasoned. I contacted the merchant and we came to an agreement. I returned the board and kept the small ripped off strip. The pieces were looked at again last year and they were still unusable. However this week I got them out again and they were flat although not the usual colour you would expect of sycamore.

So got out the cavalry and hand planed them not wanting to risk them through the machinery after the last episode. Please to say they are working.

37w-4.jpg

Glued them up to form a lid with the aperture removed with a jig saw and cleaned up the eclipse with these sanding drums used in a drill press.

38w-5.jpg

Put them on the router table and formed a roundover on top edge and rebates under to fit carcass.

39w-5.jpg

Photographed this morning with the lid attached and ready for a final clean up.

40w-4.jpg

I did however get out the shellac and started to finish off these previous 5 boxes but the above box will have to wait for the next allocation.

5boxes.jpg

Back