panel saw clean up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoelD

Established Member
Reaction score
Got this old saw and I want to spruce it up. But there's a Toga logo under the filth which I would like to retain, just because.
What's the best solution to do this? Figured any sort of acid would end up removing the logo as well.

You're right not to use acid.
If there's loose rust, scrape it off. Use a razor blade window scraper, or an old credit card or the end of a piece of hardwood.
Then use wet and dry paper, wetted. (WD40 is good for this.) But don't start coarse and work through to fine - go the other way. Use very fine paper and only switch to something coarser if you really need to. Keep cleaning off with rags or kitchen paper and stop before you've gone too far.
A little wax polish will help get things looking clean. Microcrystalline is good.

AndyT":3dvcf0au said:
You're right not to use acid.
If there's loose rust, scrape it off. Use a razor blade window scraper, or an old credit card or the end of a piece of hardwood.
Then use wet and dry paper, wetted. (WD40 is good for this.) But don't start coarse and work through to fine - go the other way. Use very fine paper and only switch to something coarser if you really need to. Keep cleaning off with rags or kitchen paper and stop before you've gone too far.
A little wax polish will help get things looking clean. Microcrystalline is good.
A while back I cleaned up an old tendon saw using almost exactly this method.
Only thing was I started coarse and went up. Wasn't too pleased with the results.

Thanks for this, I'll try it the other way.

I've used this method and can confirm it works well.

Don't like using wd40 in the garage unless I have to, so these days I use anything else I can find. Baby oil works and I use it on my oil stones this ran out recently so went hunting in the bathroom cabinet, voila Nivea hand cream. Not as good on the stones but works a treat for subtle de-rusting.

I used to use a well worn decorators sanding foam thingy but have recently upgraded to micro mesh pads (thanks AndyT). Haven't cleaned up a saw for ages but I 'd probably go back to the sanding foam block due to the size.

Mr_Pea":3hz7sns3 said:
I've used this method and can confirm it works well.

Don't like using wd40 in the garage unless I have to, so these days I use anything else I can find. Baby oil works and I use it on my oil stones this ran out recently so went hunting in the bathroom cabinet, voila Nivea hand cream. Not as good on the stones but works a treat for subtle de-rusting.

I used to use a well worn decorators sanding foam thingy but have recently upgraded to micro mesh pads (thanks AndyT). Haven't cleaned up a saw for ages but I 'd probably go back to the sanding foam block due to the size.
I find white mineral oil good on stones. On finer grits I mix white spirit with it.

Anyway, just done one saw, turned out there was a name on that one as well: Richard Ibbotson.
Thing is there's a lot of grey and black tarnishing on the steel, which is near impossible to get off.

YoelD":kxfqj5lv said:
Anyway, just done one saw, turned out there was a name on that one as well: Richard Ibbotson.
Thing is there's a lot of grey and black tarnishing on the steel, which is near impossible to get off.

I should have mentioned this earlier... There's a method using Autosol and aluminium foil which might reduce the tarnishing in the way you want, though I believe some collectors don't like it. There's also an unresolved question about whether Autosol contains silicone. But here's my experience of it:

cleaning-rusty-saws-with-autosol-t73647.html

AndyT":2876g3fa said:
YoelD":2876g3fa said:

I should have mentioned this earlier... There's a method using Autosol and aluminium foil which might reduce the tarnishing in the way you want, though I believe some collectors don't like it. There's also an unresolved question about whether Autosol contains silicone. But here's my experience of it:

cleaning-rusty-saws-with-autosol-t73647.html
Wow, thanks for the link, Andy. Appreciate it.

Back