Panel saw choice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterleyton

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Can’t make my mind up on panel saw and appreciate your input wise people.
SCM minimax or Nova or Genesis P32?

many thanks for your replays

Yes, but even second hand Altendorf are very pricey. I’d say my budget will be around 10k
Try ringing around a few dealers, Im sure you would get an Altendorf for your budget.

I don’t know how an SCM or Genesis machine would compare to an Altendorf, but I know a few Altendorf owners who are very happy - and as it’s a leading brand, resale value will be good.

ive used a few SCM machines - they are decent machines, but built to a budget and not in the league of Altendorf, Martin or Panhans. However I would choose SCM over other less known brands for a middle range machine - because they have a large service department in the UK so parts are easily obtained.

here’s a Martin T60A for £10k (plus vat of course)

https://woodworkmachinery.co.uk/pro...MIh6m4xLq79AIV2ON3Ch03uw8-EAQYASABEgJ4XfD_BwE
Its worth trying places like NEY - they supply new machinery and will sell trade in stuff at a good price if they have a buyer ready when A customer is upgrading.

https://store.ney.co.uk/used-machinery/sawing-and-sizing/
or sawtec perhaps

https://www.sawtec.co.uk/altendorf/

Try ringing around a few dealers, Im sure you would get an Altendorf for your budget.

I don’t know how an SCM or Genesis machine would compare to an Altendorf, but I know a few Altendorf owners who are very happy - and as it’s a leading brand, resale value will be good.

ive used a few SCM machines - they are decent machines, but built to a budget and not in the league of Altendorf, Martin or Panhans. However I would choose SCM over other less known brands for a middle range machine - because they have a large service department in the UK so parts are easily obtained.

here’s a Martin T60A for £10k (plus vat of course)

https://woodworkmachinery.co.uk/pro...MIh6m4xLq79AIV2ON3Ch03uw8-EAQYASABEgJ4XfD_BwE
Its worth trying places like NEY - they supply new machinery and will sell trade in stuff at a good price if they have a buyer ready when A customer is upgrading.

https://store.ney.co.uk/used-machinery/sawing-and-sizing/
or sawtec perhaps

https://www.sawtec.co.uk/altendorf/
Thanks Robin for your advice and links.

Thanks Robin for your advice and links.

Years ago I bought a Robland panel saw ….It was a pretty good machine, the sliding part was good, the rip fence was good, but the handles, accessories etc werent that great. The connection of cross cut fence to sliding table was a bit cr@p and it didn’t stay square.

Unfortunately these things dont become obvious until you’ve used it a while.

Ive had a good look online at the Genesis and SCM offerings - they both look pretty good and at your price level, a new machine should function as well as a 2nd hand top end brand……but the only way you will find out the user experience niggles is to use it long term…….you could ask the dealers if they’ve sold a machine near you and go and visit and ask the guys using it what it’s like.

I may well be looking at a machine next year so I would be most grateful if you could update the thread on what you choose.

Enjoy hunting for your new toy.

Years ago I bought a Robland panel saw ….It was a pretty good machine, the sliding part was good, the rip fence was good, but the handles, accessories etc werent that great. The connection of cross cut fence to sliding table was a bit cr@p and it didn’t stay square.

Unfortunately these things dont become obvious until you’ve used it a while.

Ive had a good look online at the Genesis and SCM offerings - they both look pretty good and at your price level, a new machine should function as well as a 2nd hand top end brand……but the only way you will find out the user experience niggles is to use it long term…….you could ask the dealers if they’ve sold a machine near you and go and visit and ask the guys using it what it’s like.

I may well be looking at a machine next year so I would be most grateful if you could update the thread on what you choose.

Enjoy hunting for your new toy.
Thanks.
tbh Robland was my first choice at the beginning but after reading not so good reviews I’ve changed my mind. Like you have said everything looks good online. I’m leaning more towards SCM than Genesis. SCM is well established on the market and don’t know much about Genesis. I’m following few auctions too there is nice Altendorf F45 but I do not have facilities for it now. What machine you have currently?
Yes, definitely I’ll update the post as soon as my hunt is over.

scm have a few different ranges at several levels. felder are also pretty good. cheaper altendorfs are just that...cheaper built.
Which Altendorf would you recommend?
SCM I’m thinking of NOVA SI 300 as I don’t think I’ll ever need 400mm blade.

Hi,
I reckon you can get an altendorf for £10k, I'd go the wa80, which is what I have.
DO NOT go Robland, they look OK but after startiing off with a Robland I soon found out they are flimsy rubbish compared to quality saws.
Don't be tempted by the altendorf WA6, as it's a cheap inferior model in my opinion.

What machine you have currently?

Im currently using an Egurko Ortza 32 - it’s not mine, I’m sort of taking over from a guy who is now working on site.

The saw seems to be based on an Altendorf F45 frame but with cheaper sliding table and parts…..and it’s knackered.

it’s quite similar to this F45…which looks a good price at £2,990+vat

https://grovewoodmachines.co.uk/product/used-altendorf-f45-sliding-table-panel-saw-great-deal/
I notice sawtec an Altendorf dealer are selling the Genesis….and they seem to be raving about it.….however I can find a Genesis manufacturers website….which makes me think it’s a rebadged machine - it seems to share some similar features to the Rolland, the rip fence seems almost the same.

Thanks for all your help and advice. I think I’ll try to hunt down either Altendorf or Martin. There are Martins about but only 850 rip fence and I’ll need minimum 1200.

Just remember you need a big footprint (clear space) for these saws, min 6m x 4.5m, I have allowed 7m x 5m clear space and on the odd occasion I have to cut things by a different method as I haven't room on the saw.

Just remember you need a big footprint (clear space) for these saws, min 6m x 4.5m, I have allowed 7m x 5m clear space and on the odd occasion I have to cut things by a different method as I haven't room on the saw.
Yes, I do know they need a lot space. I’ll be moving soon to the new workshop 700sqf, not huge but much bigger than current. Plan is to put the saw in few benches and small spray booth.

Hello guys,
I thought I will update this post as finally bought a panel saw Format4 kappa 40. It took a while to find one but it’s in now!
Very pleased with it so far!
Happy days!

Attachments

• 8A9C53B0-A879-4B8C-B58C-4E74292EB6DE.jpeg
    8A9C53B0-A879-4B8C-B58C-4E74292EB6DE.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 4F0E4CC6-CF30-466C-A6C5-5AB12DBD9A1C.jpeg
    4F0E4CC6-CF30-466C-A6C5-5AB12DBD9A1C.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back