Panel Raising Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ac445ab

Established Member
Reaction score
Ciao, :D
I just completed this panel raising plane and I would want to share my satisfaction.
I have to admit, this plane required more attention, due to skewed geometries and the need of crossgrained cuts.
Inspiration comes to me from a 1934 Italian planemaker catalogue, from this plane in particular:

xbh56b.jpg

Therefore, I used lamellar beech, wengè and cherry (handle) for making this panel raiser:

ig9mcj.jpg

15wav7b.jpg

The main blade is marked "Stella Bianca" (Italy), found as new old stock. It's bedded at 50° with 25° skew angle
The plane weights 1,8 Kg and cuts very well. A great satisfaction!
more details and a short video here:
http://woodworkingbyhand2.blogspot.it/2 ... plane.html

Ciao,
Giuliano :D

That's magnificent! It looks so wacky and makes such a good profile. I imagine your house will be filling up with panels everywhere now.

Great stuff Giuliano!

The engineering involved with skew planes adds another dimension entirely to an already complex subject and you have done especially well in tackling that aspect.

I have been fiddling with Philly's skew mitre this weekend...on a couple of jobs....and the geometry is awe-inspiring.

I would be interested to hear exactly how you managed to keep the angles true in three dimensions and if possible a few more pictures of the WIP if you took any.

Cheers

Jim

Sono molto impressionato. Da vedere altre immagini. Grande................
For those at home it means, 'I am very impressed. Must see more pictures. Great.' courtesy of Google translate. Best wishes.

That is one VERY impressive plane. Mind boggling geometry, but looks to work like a dream.
Given the common occurrence of fielded panelling both in English furniture and houses, were similar things once widely used here, or is it a purely continental tool?

Thank you all for appreciating my job :D

AndyT":3ekb1zoc said:
I imagine your house will be filling up with panels everywhere now.

:mrgreen: You are right, now I have to project something for it... :roll:

jimi43":3ekb1zoc said:
I would be interested to hear exactly how you managed to keep the angles true in three dimensions and if possible a few more pictures of the WIP if you took any.

Cheers

Jim

I have more pics, I'll post them asap...... :D

dickm":3ekb1zoc said:
That is one VERY impressive plane. Mind boggling geometry, but looks to work like a dream.
Given the common occurrence of fielded panelling both in English furniture and houses, were similar things once widely used here, or is it a purely continental tool?

This is good question. I don't think these planes were so common in the past, judging by the amount of exemplars survived nowadays. Ebay is a good source for taking one of them. I saw them more frequently in USA, France and Germany, more rarely in other countries, where, may be, more common rebating planes were preferred?
Nevertheless, to mold a panel whit one of these is really a quick job.

Inspiring work Giuliano! I understand the complexity in such a build only too well. It is daunting.

As I understand, these planes are more common in the USA than the UK. According to Roy Underhill (Woodright's Shop), in the UK the fielding was traditionally completed in a few steps, generally with a badger plane at the heart of the process. In the US, however, they combined everything into one plane to save time and effort. That it saves time and effort, plus leaves a great finish, is evident from your photos. I'm not sure how accurate Roy's version is. :)

I planed raised panels today in one step with the LV Jack Rabbet plane ... :wink: However the results, while clean, are not a patch on yours with that wonderful profile. It is a good reason to have a dedicated panel raising plane (or three).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi again, :D
Here are some work in progress pics.

I joint two pieces for the central part
2qmg403.jpg

The three main components receive a wengè sole
2nj93cg.jpg

Central piece and left one are joint with screws (temporary) and the whole sole is cut at 6°.
3029uso.jpg

I cut the blade bed (and the facing part) by hand with a dozuki saw, approximately to angles, then the bed (50°, 25° skew) is trued on abrasive paper.
24fzp14.jpg

The recess for chipbreaker screw is cut
2sba35g.jpg

The right part is then added, pin inserted and the wedge is shaped for a good grip
1z3ts75.jpg

The sole of right part is shaped by router (roman ogee profile)
5ouiax.jpg

A dado for the first nicker is cut; the bed is inclined, so its cutting point is aligned with the inner rebate wall.
qn4cd0.jpg

Is now possible to glue parts together and the recess for moulding blade is cut (this iron is slightly skewed to right).
i2ikcj.jpg

With a Forstner bit and a gouge, the chip escapment is created
10z2x6v.jpg

Checked all and shaped irons to profiles before gluing a closing piece
2d9bgw7.jpg

xnvmtx.jpg

The plane receives its first re-mouthing. This permits to insert a end-grained piece for best resistance to wear.
xf9r4p.jpg

The cherry handle is joint to body by sliding dovetail, cut with the dovetail plane ( http://woodworkingbyhand2.blogspot.it/2012/07/dovetail-plane_27.html)
1zfpybp.jpg

ncipdu.jpg

The second nicker comes from a Stanley 78 spare part
2gwxgls.jpg

The left plane side; a cherry insert covers the pin hole.
345hhdt.jpg

The panel raising plane and its ancestor (German) on background
2ij69s4.jpg

Ciao

Ciao Guliano,

Thank you very much for sharing these WIP. Really an inspiring, beautiful plane!

Cheers Pedder

Hi Giuliano

Superb stuff! Inspirational for anyone here who is thinking about making there own planes. Even the complex ones if taken stage by stage are achievable (if not a little bit frightening!)

Bravo indeed! =D> =D> =D>

Jim

I planed raised panels today in one step with the LV Jack Rabbet plane ... :wink: However the results, while clean, are not a patch on yours with that wonderful profile. It is a good reason to have a dedicated panel raising plane (or three).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Why three? :?:

Back