Panel bonded 38mm veneer MDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john983

Reaction score
Hoping someone can confirm the correct approach for this. I'm building quite a few tall floor standing unit constructed from veneered 38mm MDF (panel bonded 2 x 19mm veneer MDF). Don't ask why we're having monster thickness sides....but the wife has told me this is what's needed!

When it comes to doweling the corners, is it fine to have the dowel centres running centred along the panel bonded board (where the panels are glued together) or should I be looking to put in two rows of dowels (centred on each of the component 19mm boards)

Am thinking there are pros and cons of each....a double row is sturdier given the 38mm board thickness but a single row is quicker, however with a single row if your are drilling the panel bonded board you're going right down the glued surfaces.....perhaps not a good idea.

Any pointers appreciated!

Depends on the circumstances of the finished unit. Freestanding or not, back panel/bracing or not. But whichever route you take I'm not convinced a few dowels into mdf could actually do more than hold alignment of the panels. Any racking force would tear the join apart.

Thanks - they would be fitted with an open back, around 2m tall x 1m wide....used for general storage etc.

Thanks - they would be fitted with an open back, around 2m tall x 1m wide....used for general storage etc.
'Fitted'... as in 'secured to the house structure'? Just about anything will work - but I'd prefer to assemble them in situ rather than handle and move a heavy fragile structure...

Back