Palm Routers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowlife

Established Member
Reaction score
This has probably been covered before, but a forum search doesn't come up with the info I'm after.

I've been thinking of getting a palm router but don't really know what's available, searches mostly come up with the Bosch GKF600 which is widely available, with huge price variations! I also keep coming across a Bosch "Colt", which looks similar but is clearly not the same, it seems to have a better spec, but I can't make out if that's available in the UK or not?

The only other one I can find is a Trend machine which most reviewers don't seem to think much of, cheaper than the Bosch it doesn't look as capable.

So what else is there in the same price range as the Bosch, anything more expensive that's worth looking at?

I have the standard Bosch one, not sure on the model number. The Matika is more bulletproof and quieter but the micro-adjust (invaluable!) and attachments are better for the Bosch... only time will tell on reliability.

Lowlife":1tiy2odv said:
I have a Bosch

Is that the GKF600?

Sorry no, its not that new and was purchased some years ago. But for £125 average not costly the ones I see for a GFK600. It looks a bit thicker in motor shaft in mine and ours had no base plate only a perspex guard for splatter as it trimmed. It also fitted into a edge trimmer table we had.

OK thanks, I'm still not sure so I think I'll pop down to D&M Tools next week and take a look at one, they also stock the DeWalt D26200 which I'd like to look at, and the Trend T4EK although I doubt I'll go for that, but at under £80 I may as well have a look while I'm there, and there are several other tools I need to check out while I'm at it.

I have the Bosch GFK600 router/laminate trimmer. I believe the colt is almost identical but for the US market.
I use it all the time and wish I had bought one years ago, it is very easy to handle compared to any full sized router and surprisingly powerful.
It spins very fast and smooth, the only limitation is the fact that it has no variable speed so I do worry about using large bits, I do use a few moulding cutters with bearings but nothing bigger than about 20mm.

Since I bought this router a year or so back, DeWalt have bought out a very nice unit with variable speed and two bases, one fixed and one plunge.
The DeWalt looks great and had it been available when I bought the Bosch I would have seriously considered it, though it is very expensive.

In short the GFK 600 is very good for the price (I payed £130 I think).

Palm routers or laminate trimmers have been around for years, both Makita and Hitachi do models of the latter. The only difference between my Makita laminate trimmer, is the name i.e. not palm router...bosshogg :)

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein (hammer)

I've realised that one of the guys at work has a Trend one which he rarely uses, I'm going to give his a try before I make any decisions.

I've realised that one of the guys at work has a Trend one which he rarely uses, I'm going to give his a try before I make any decisions.

Back