Pallet wood can be pretty sometimes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGIvy

Established Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I really like pallet wood. I didn't think much of this until my daughter asked me to plane it for her - she's planning to paint something onto it. I'm looking forward to the finished project. Not sure what shape she wants to cut it to.
IMG_0484.jpeg

I have seen thousands of pallets in my time, probably not always up that close, but I don’t recollect ever seeing one with a waney edge to the board, no reason why they shouldn’t as they’re meant to be cheap. I agree though nice grain, very "Pineish. Looking at that bark again it looks almost Douglas fir-ish. i’m sure somebody on here I will put us right Ian

The majority of pallets I see are heat treated, Look for a HT stamp, no chemicals used on those AFAIK. We get hundreds of single use pallets at work and I use 10 or so a year to make kindling.

I agree, it can be beautiful. I've made a few things with it and usually at the behest of clients!
The best things I've made are this workbench and the stern lockers for a GRP canal boat that incorporated seating.
Normal long pallets were used for the workbench and the boat locker lids were made from crates that you get Indian Stone slabs or any stone blocks transported in... We got a few from our local headstone yard and builders' yards. It is by far the prettiest and hardest woods that have come from these crates. It's a type of teak and some Mango woods that are used. The colour... The grain.... Absolutely stunning reds and deep oranges!
FB_IMG_1581007578444.jpg

Back