Pale Oak - finish and seal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hickorystick

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am wanting to build a large family dining table out of oak.
The finish I want is pale oak - possibly a limed finish or just natural.
As it is a dining table and likely to suffer spillage is there a way to seal in the pale finish so that it is protected against
things like red wine or gravy etc.. ?
Recommendations on finishes, products and techniques very welcome..

Thanks
Phil

Hi
Have a look at osmo top oil range. I have just fitted an oak worktop for someone who wanted natural look and was amazed by the little colour change once the oil had soaked in and dried. Unsure about the longevity of this colour but have the old top oil on oak at home and it has survived pretty well 6 years on. It's now ready for a cut back and recoat.
Cheers

I too admire a well executed limed finish. I've tried most if not all of the commercially available products but fortunately I tested them before committing, because they really don't achieve what I'm looking for. Too glossy, too artificial, just wrong. Maybe the answer is a coat of very wet flat emulsion paint followed by vigorous sanding? Maybe, but I'm pretty confident that the answer to a really good limed finish isn't to be found in a pre-mixed bottle or tin.

I've made quite a few oak tables and like you generally aim for a pale, almost natural look without excessive gloss but with some spillage protection. Here's what i've discovered,

-Matt or semi-matte acryclic varnishes neither darken nor yellow oak's natural colour, they "pop" the grain but preserve the colour. The bad news is that even after being left to harden for many many days they are still a bit soft, so much so that normal household polishing with a cloth effectively burnishes the surface, so it becomes progressively more glossy. Working the surface with wire wool removes the gloss, but then it'll polish back up in a few weeks and usually in quite a patchy, unattractive way.

-Oils (including Osmo and "hard waxes") are all the same in that they all yellow and darken the surface to some extent. They do however provide adequate protection for domestic table surfaces, and a Danish Oil can give a lovely flat finish that ages well but is just that bit too yellow to qualify as perfect to my eye.

-Varnishes and "oil/varnish" mixes are similar, yellowing and darkening a bit more, but delivering a harder surface that can be flattened and then remains matte.

-French polish neither yellows nor darkens, plus it can finished to whatever degree of matte/mirror gloss you want. But unless you're scrupulous with place matts and tablecloths it'll be knackered in a year or two.

Bottom line, after making oak tables for thirty years or more I've still to find the finish I'm really looking for. The closest is probably to leave unfinished and regularly scrub hard! But that's certainly not an "easy care" finish, and you're running the red wine gauntlet every meal!

Good luck.

Thanks Mr Custard - excellent summary.
I think like you I may experiment with some of your suggestions on off cuts and see which is best.
I've also seen an acceptable finish in a furniture shop so may go and ask there as a pretend buyer...

Cheers..

Have you tried TimberTect? It's pricey but a little goes a long way. I used to use Osmo but found it doesn't really soak in and so it scratches easily. TimberTect on the other hand really does though it's pretty pungent stuff. It's very easy to apply and they do a secondary a worktop sealant to really make it watertight.
Also I've experimented with, but never fully committed to, slate sealers and found they sink in and waterproof but hardly change the tone at all. Thinking about that I might try sealing a little chopping board with some and see how it gets on with beetroot and such.

Phil,

Being in the Peak District you might ask Jacob
IIRC he is a big fan of a particular type of paint that might do the liming.
He might show you some examples of finished products

I used Tung oil on my oak table
Needs lots of coats at first but it's good for a once over every year now

Back