Pair of compasses, to hold a pencil?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pe2dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Unable to find one (some?) online.
I'm looking for a pair of compasses, up to say 16" radius, big version of the old brass school compasses?
Anyone know where I can find them please (UK ideally)

I have never seen compasses that big. At that size I would jury rig some kind of beam compass. Is that an option for you?

Tks @Jacob all 22" diameter max? Look to be the same set?
@Dee J - yes, then make something for a pencil? Not keen on scratching - better solution though. Thanks.
Unless it's for frequent long term use then a batten, nail, pencil and elastic band will work perfectly well.

Tks @Jacob all 22" diameter max? Look to be the same set?
Your 32" maybe a bit big for actual compasses - they'd be very cumbersome.
What I do for large radii is drill holes in a lath - one for a pin and the other for a pencil. You only need to poke the lead through, not to actually hold the pencil - you do that with your hand. Mechanical pencils make it easier - just a thin lead holder to drill for. Countersink if the lath is a bit too thick

Rutland one can use a pencil Screenshot_20210226_102255_com.android.chrome.jpg

@Just4Fun I have seen them (as a kid). The trammel (beam compass?) idea seems practical.
Scary price on Starret (my favourite maker), but others have some good innovations, I think they will work nicely.
It isn't something I would buy. As I wrote, I would jury rig something. Just a nail through a piece of scrap and some way to hold the pencil - a hole or notch, some tape, a rubber band or even just a finger. Of course if you will be doing this often you might want to make a nicer & permanent solution.

It isn't something I would buy. As I wrote, I would jury rig something. Just a nail through a piece of scrap and some way to hold the pencil - a hole or notch, some tape, a rubber band or even just a finger. Of course if you will be doing this often you might want to make a nicer & permanent solution.
<grin/> Don't be so darned practical ;-)

I made a couple of these beam compasses following Matthias Wandel's design. They've worked well for me on the rare occasions I needed to draw an arc and you can make them to your chosen length.

Last edited:
I made a couple of these beam compasses following Matthias Wandel's design. They've worked well for me on the rare occasions I needed to draw an arc and you can make them to your chosen length.

Neat idea, grabbing the 'beam' and the pencil (indirectly) via the dovetail!

Another, even cheaper?

Last edited:
Back