Painting plasterboard.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskywill

Established Member
Reaction score
The ceiling of my workshop/double garage is bare plasterboard. I want to paint it white to improve light reflection. What tape is best to use for the plasterboard joints?

I used generic Wickes self adhesive skrim tape, seems to work well for me. No issues many years on.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Assuming you will fill & sand over the tape, correct?

Will is there a slight taper to the edge of the boards? If so they have been laid to tape and skim the joints. Happy days. Cover the joints with scrim tape and feather in the joints with a joint filler and plastering trowel. On such small areas it's a doddle to get a good finish.

If its laid flatside out I'd guess a flexible filler is your best bet. Expect it to shrink so leave the first fill shy and rough so a final second fill can key and is not too deep.

Edit. Typed while Sam posted.

whiskywill":1dgl3bcr said:
sammy.se":1dgl3bcr said:

Lazy me assumed I could just stick some tape over the joint and paint it.

And me (hammer)

whiskywill":2zj5n7we said:
sammy.se":2zj5n7we said:

Lazy me assumed I could just stick some tape over the joint and paint it.

And you still can. Entirely up to you. As it's a workshop/garage I'd be tempted. But then I have a v....e....r.....y long TUIT list.

If it's just to brighten the space why not just paint it all white and leave the gaps? Painting tape is storing up a future issue of shrinking tape and cracking paint. I'd mist coat to seal the boards first. 1 part water to 3 part paint. Then I'd add a bit more paint to it and chuck that on. Might find that's enough and a lot faster to apply 2 or 3 mist coats if finish or durability is not an issue.
Happy days. Who likes painting when you can do more interesting stuff. Like watching it dry. With a beer.

I just used brown gummed paper parcel tape, the type that you need to wet to activate the glue. This sticks onto the paper plasterboard surface well and takes paint, I didn’t see any point in going any further. Search on eBay, £5ish for 200m.

Richard

RichardG":2ds8apr4 said:
I just used brown gummed paper parcel tape, the type that you need to wet to activate the glue. This sticks onto the paper plasterboard surface well and takes paint, I didn’t see any point in going any further. Search on eBay, £5ish for 200m.

Richard

This sounds like the way to go. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Back