PAINTING OVER SILICON SEALER.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAKAMA

Reaction score
Hello, I have just finished fitting out a small house extension and I have had to use a silicon sealer in places. I would like to paint over the sealer but the paint will not stick to it. It is a water based paint. Any ideas. Thank you.

Things don't like sticking to silicone despite how readily it sticks to everything else. You could try one of the Zinnsers maybe?

It's silicone with an e at the end, silicon is crunchy! I don't think even oil-based paint covers it very well. One option might be to overlay a thin layer of suitably-chosen acrylic sealer and paint onto that.

I've never found any paint that will stick to it. Depending where it is;
a. Don't worry about it.
b. If it is unsightly, either cut it back a little, if you can, then either re do the silicone but keep it very neat, or put acrylic painters caulk over the silicone - that is paintable.

On our previous house I hade the same problem The method I used still had my masonry paint sticking firm to the silicon when we moved 3 years later.
Get a long electrical extension and the wife's hair drier, not hot air stripper. Using a small brush paint over the silicon a small area at a time with your masonry or acrylic paint, quickly playing the hair drier on it to skin over. Leave and repeat when dry.
I did not have this problem on the making good of the windows I did as I used decorators caulk which as said above is easy to paint over.

Colin

Silicone is water proof. It belongs in a bathroom or kitchen, in moderation. Around gaps that could be exposed to water.

If you've used it anywhere else it's wrong and won't be possible to paint over.

Spray some WD40 over it, give it a few mins and cut away/scrap away. Once that's done replace with decorators caulk in the same manner but use a silicone profiling tool (rather than your fingers). Once this is done you can easily paint over it.

Sounds like you’ve put it in the wrong place if you need to paint over it. Where is it?

Silicone is a decorators worst nightmare, don't use it anywhere near things that will be painted.

Hybrid polymers like Robin mentions are fantastic, you can use the same tube as adhesive or caulk. Not the cheapest but does everything, is over paintable and saves you having to carry different tubes of stuff around (which you end up opening and only using half of anyway).

It is not only silicon sealer but anything that contains silicon, such as polish. You can always find it because it is that area you are trying to paint that just refuses to be painted. I think the only places to use Silicon sealer are bathrooms and kitchen sinks and the like, for everything else I use Sika flex, Stixal and CT1 which I think could be used instead of silicon, anyone else using CT1 rather than silicon sealer in bathrooms?

Back