Painting MDF bedroom units

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scholar

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought I should post some details of some units I am building in our conversion project.

This is a conversion of an old chapel hall where we have put in a new floor - the bedrooms have rooflights and to satisfy fire regulations there has to be a means of escape no more than 1100mm from the rooflight (which are of the fire escape pattern, hinged at the top with gas struts - quite what you do when you climb onto the roof I do not know....!).

Anyway, the building officer required a means of stepping up to the platform and as space is a little tight I designed these units to provide storage and bedside tables.

The carcase construction is 25mm MDF, rebated and joined with dominos as I did not want any screws visible (where there is a rebate on both sides of the board I used a larger through domino). I cut the domino mortices in the vertical boards before machining the rebates which I did on the spindle moulder for edge rebates and the table saw for the rebates in the middle of the boards.

By the way, I sourced the panels from Severn Ply (part of Timbmet) using their cutting service - you just send them a spreadsheet and they deliver it all cut to size with individual sticky labels identifying each piece. The accuracy was spot on and the sawn finish superb; I was very impressed with the service.

I made the drawers using AWO from Timbmet, dovetailed on the Woodrat.

Backs of the units, only a little bit of which is visible, is oak veneered plywood as are the drawer bottoms.

The carcases and drawer fronts will be painted in some Farrow & Ball colours (tba) and I intend to spray these. Given that the units are very heavy and unwieldy, I need to spray them in situ (although not fixed in place). I have built a knock-down spray booth which works well in the space and will be usable in due course in the workshop at home. I will post some photos of the spray booth as I am quite pleased with the design, but you will have to wait until I make some space to put it up.

The units will have oak countertops.

I am now at the point of considering paint to use for this job - it needs to be waterbased as my spray booth is not explosion-proofed. I have seen some helpful guidance here on spraying various waterborne finishes on MDF, in particular Morrells so I was intending to use their products.

I was somewhat surprised when I popped into one of the Morrells branches to get the impression that they do not sell much water-based product (the only tin of their main water-based primer was out of date, although he did give me a sample to try). I believe they will match any colour at head office.

I would welcome any views on suitable products - my spray unit is a Fuji Q4.

Here are some photos in case you are interested:

DSC02268.jpg

DSC02267.jpg

DSC02269.jpg

DSC02270.jpg

DSC02266.jpg

DSC02272.jpg

DSC02271.jpg

[Edit:Sorry, still learning how to attach the photos - hopefully this works]

scholar":2eyef5qh said:
By the way, I sourced the panels from Severn Ply (part of Timbmet) using their cutting service - you just send them a spreadsheet and they deliver it all cut to size with individual sticky labels identifying each piece. The accuracy was spot on and the sawn finish superb; I was very impressed with the service.

Very nice.

I've wondered about these cutting services, can you give an idea of how expensive it turned out vs buying the sheets?

BigMac

I will need to dig out the details which are all at home, so I will do that when I am back next week (I will not tell you how long I have had the materials.....which is why I cannot recall the prices!).

As to accuracy, I think they specify that they work to toleramce of +/- 1mm, but on this order I did not find anything that was remotely that far out.

cheers

Hey there scholar,

in your third pic, at the bottom of your unit, there is an interesting looking tool. What is it? Is it part of something else? Or is it something 'blindingly' obvious that I should know already?

Looks like a very tidy construction so far.

Eoin

Hi Eion

Your eagle eye spotted a sander attachment for a drill. It is an old Wolfcraft item that I find very useful attached to my 18v de walt drill (using a pipe clip that is just the right size to keep the power switch on).

I have had it for many years and have upgraded at home to a proper sanding machine, but this is very helpful when "on manoeuvres". I am pretty sure it is no longer made.

cheers

Back