painting funiture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonesbones

Established Member
Reaction score
hi I am going to paint a old (100 years approx)pine bathroom, bedroom, stand the type that used to have bowl and jug on it. Would have been painted when it was first made, want to do a descent job on it, never painted furniture before do I need a primer ? under coat? special paint? filler? any input appreciated thanks jones bones

Hi- the first question you need to answer is are you going water based or oil based?

There are for’s and against for both systems, but both require primer, undercoat top coats

A typical spec for water could be:
1 or 2 coats of zinnser 123+ followed by sikkens rubbol satura for a hard wearing satin finish or johno’s aqua gloss for a high gloss finish
A typical spec for oil could be:
1 or 2 coats of Zinnser BIN (or coverstain if it’s a large item) followed by 1 coat of oil based undercoat such as (Dulux trade U/C) followed by one or two coats of oil based eggshell/satin or high gloss

For all methods you need to work cleanly and de-nib between coats, one of the nicest fillers to use is toupret fine surface filler for minor imperfections or toupret tx110 for larger holes.

If your wash stand is French Polished, which it should be, this will provide an excellent base for painting, you will be best to de-grease it first because it has probably been waxed at some time in its life. Giving it a scrub with some white spirit and a scotch pad ( the green pan scourers are good to use ) will de-grease it and key it up in one operation, but make sure it is good and dry before painting. You could use water or oil based paint on top, it all depends on the finish you are after.
One thing you might want to do before embarking on this is to check its value. Nearly all wash stands have devalued a great deal like most 'Brown" furniture but there are a few exceptions, It would be a pity to paint it only to find it is a 'Gillows' piece! You could always send me a photo of it first if you have any doubts.

thanks percy and cornucopia followed your advice I am usiing zinsser 123 just put the second coat on will try and post before and after photos if i can get the hang of posting photos

Back