Painting Concrete Steps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
The back steps of our house looked a bit shabby so we painted them with Wickes floor paint but it has peeled off and flaked. Would sealing the steps first with the proper stuff (we used Wickes water seal for walls) and using proper exterior step paint solve this?

The original steps are at least 50 years old, but we built them up higher to accommodate the new door a few years ago, if that makes any difference?

Thanks,
Mark

That's what I suspected. I've ordered a cup grinder from Screwfix so I'll get off the remaining paint the next time it's not raining (don't know when that's going to be :( )

Mark

Mark I do not know if your steps ice up in the winter, but whilst you are painting them you might want to use anti slip paint

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":33kwtxh2 said:
Mark I do not know if your steps ice up in the winter, but whilst you are painting them you might want to use anti slip paint

Cheers

Mike
Good idea Mike as i found out to my cost a few weeks ago after slipping on our treated steps and breaking my wrist :roll:
Does the ASP protect against frost/ice though??

Mike.C":dq53pw7h said:
Ice? What ice :mrgreen: This winter has been particularly mild here in sunny South Wales so that shouldn't be a problem. If it did start to ice then I'd sprinkle cat litter or salt on it.

Mark

If you used a waterproofer for walls it probably caused your problem- their raison d'etre is that water, or anything else come to that, doesn't adhere to or penetrate them--you'd probably just as well have sprayed them with wd40 and expected paint to stick.

You can blame the first plasterer we had for suggesting water seal, though I don't understand how it can be sprayed onto exterior walls and then painted over with no problem, yet stops paint adhering to horizontal concrete?

I have seen instructions on masonry paint that specify that if waterproofer is to be used, it must be used after painting and not before, so presumably it's a known phenomena. ...................as an afterthought, maybe the paint will cope in situations where the water mainly runs off, but not where the water pools?

phil.p":1grrwjby said:
I have seen instructions on masonry paint that specify that if waterproofer is to be used, it must be used after painting and not before, so presumably it's a known phenomena. ...................as an afterthought, maybe the paint will cope in situations where the water mainly runs off, but not where the water pools?
Thanks for the advice - I'll look into that. The steps slope slightly so any water runs off straight away and doesn't pool.
We bought a tin of Blackfriar acrylic floor paint from a local stockist last week which should do the trick (I quote "Ideal for most surfaces including wood, concrete, asphalt and tarmac in light traffic areas") I should be grinding off the old paint tomorrow, as long as it doesn't rain...

Mark

Back