Painting and sealing pine & Plywood bed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodone

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

made a simple pine frame childs bed with plywood head and foot board. Plan to paint it white. What would be the preferred paint and surface finish to make it hard wearing and to not yellow?

couple of coats or primer and then a satinwood? Would I need to use a top coat or sealer/lacquer and if so what would be best?

thank you.

Hello all,

made a simple pine frame childs bed with plywood head and foot board. Plan to paint it white. What would be the preferred paint and surface finish to make it hard wearing and to not yellow?

couple of coats or primer and then a satinwood? Would I need to use a top coat or sealer/lacquer and if so what would be best?

thank you.

I'm about to do something similar, what do you go with in the end?

if you really wanted it hard wearing you could do 2 layers of primer, a final top coat, ideally oil based paint and then polyurethane varnish

shellac prime until nothing telegraphs - not sure if you get the same thing over there, but zinnser BIN over here (the alcohol based) is good for this, and then use a paint that's also tannin/transfer resistant as well as designed for kitchen cabinets or trim.

The top of that class here is urethane paints and tinted lacquers.

if you really wanted it hard wearing you could do 2 layers of primer, a final top coat, ideally oil based paint and then polyurethane varnish
Thanks tyreman.

On other projects I have used Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 as a primer and have been happy with the results. I would like to stick with water-based as I'll be spraying it and prefer the clean-up with water.

I have so far only finished with paint and Osmo Polyx Oil (wiped on) so know nothing about poly. Is it a clear top coat for the added protection of the paint? I guess it would be oil-based, but if it isn't can you recommend any brands?

Thanks Jacob. I've been pleased with Zinsser's Bulls Eye 123 so far. Would pretty much any decent brand paint be ok?
Flick down with 240grit before top coat anything will go on top of that primer it's great 👍

Thanks tyreman.

On other projects I have used Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 as a primer and have been happy with the results. I would like to stick with water-based as I'll be spraying it and prefer the clean-up with water.

I have so far only finished with paint and Osmo Polyx Oil (wiped on) so know nothing about poly. Is it a clear top coat for the added protection of the paint? I guess it would be oil-based, but if it isn't can you recommend any brands?
I can't really advise you on that sorry, don't have any experience with osmo polyx oil so can't comment on it.

I use a 50/50 mix of water resistant PVA n water.....as an initial primer when using paint on wood.....

on really pourus stuff like plaster board it gets 2 coats first before emulsion.....
I even use it on wall's n ceilings for the same reason...esp if the finish is quite old or stained......
MOSTLY coz modern paint is rubbish.....
big plus it's cheap and always have in the workshop.....
I worked with a pro painter gang on million £ houses between engineering contracts....
if it works for them....!!!!!

There's Buy Rust-Oleum Furniture Paint

And milk paint can give a nice result ...
Thanks for the suggestion rogxwhit. Two coats of Zinsser 123 followed by Rust-oleum satin furniture paint worked really well, all sprayed. The Rust-oleum was the perfect viscosity for spraying without thinning.

There was some learning with spraying a satin as I had to get a nice even wet coat without over-spraying and getting runs, but I've been really pleased with the result.

Spot the knots with a blocker of your choice. Two coats of Acrylic primer undercoat, light sand with 240 grit to de-knib, wipe down and then 2 or 3 coats of an Acrylic Eggshell. You will probably need to water the Eggshel back with 20% water to get it to flow on larger areas, especially if applying by brush.
If you use an oil based finish it will yellow. The oil based will be slightly harder wearing, but the bedroom cupboards I painted as above over 20 years ago are still fine.

Colin

Back