painted flat roof

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kityuser

Established Member
Reaction score
reading another thread (and not wanting to high-jack) I`m starting to panic about my flat roof. It was replaced about 3 years ago and the roofer advised a painted finish rather than stones.

could somebody point me in the direction of a supplier so I can buy some more paint to give it a fresh coat.

ta
Steve

is this the stuff?
http://www.nwepaints.co.uk/acatalog/Roo ... tings.html

5Ltr Solar Reflective Paint Aluminium

Solar Reflective Paint is a thin bituminous based aluminium protective paint of brushable consistency which dries to a silvery finish. The product is specifically designed for application over primed metal walls and roofs to reduce heat absorption.

does anyone have any idea of what the coverage is like on this sort of stuff?

Steve

Steve are you just after a reflective finish?

I think that is what was being referred to in he other post. A choice between chippings or a reflective paint.

I`d just pop down your local builders merchant, & have a look through their roofing products, most have a decent range.

I think thats the stuff, it was a touch-on felt with a silver painted finish.
I will do, cheers

Steve

I moved into my house with a flat roof extension 23 years ago. The roof was then some 10 years old - enough to worry me. The chap I bought it from was a roofer and left me a tin of stuff saying "just wash it, and paint it with this every 3 years and you'll be OK". The stuff was Aqua Mac Silvacote (PDF).

So - I buy it from a local roofing supplies company in 5l tins. The roof is approx 3m x 4m, and I get three coats from a tin. Every 3 years I get the ladder out and brush the roof with a bucket of water and washing up liquid. Then I hose it down and leave it to dry. Next day I examine it carefully and any bubbles or cracks in the surface I mastic with standard frame sealant. Worst places are always where the felt curves over the edge. Then the next day when the mastic is overcoatable, I just go over it with a single coat of the Silvacote with a 3 inch brush. Make sure you stir it thoroughly before use - there will be a very thick glob of stuff at the bottom of the tin. Once stirred it goes a bronze colour and appears silver only after you have painted it on. So a tin lasts me 10 years or so. I just have to remember to write the date I painted it on the lid of the tin so I remember when I last did it :oops:.

The roof is now over 30 years old and, touch wood, is still water tight. I don't know if it is the "right" thing to do, but it's worked for me so far :D.

Boz

I use the same coating as Boz. I also coat it every three years but use a cheap soft broom to "paint" it, as its easier and quicker, and then throw the head away when I've finished.

Back