Painted Drawer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm making a table with a wooden top and a painted solid wood base. So far so simple. But there'll be a drawer at one end. Nothing complicated, usual half lap dovetails. Except how would you go about finishing/painting the drawer?

Just paint the very front face? Paint the whole drawer front and then dovetail it? Or what?

Thanks.

Hi Custard
If it where me I would construct the drawer in the normal manner and when it comes to painting I would just mask inline with the dovetails on the side, essentially leaving the drawer sides unfinished. I usually add a coat of wax over my painted finishes. Give the paint time to cure properly then apply a coat of wax with 0000 steel wool or an ultra fine webrax pad. You can vary the amount of pressure you apply from very light, which will basically just rub out the finish to give a beautifully smooth and tactile satin finish, to very hard to give a distressed finish. If you are going for the distressed look you could try using a coloured wax rather than clear.

Just my 2p hope it helps

Richard

Just an idea, if it does not mess with your design!
Add a cock bead to the drawer, it will give you a positive line to work to so you can paint the top of the drawer front and on the sides take the paint to the join of the cock bead and drawer side.

Jacob (who posts on this forum) makes some really nice tables with painted frames and drawers. Have a look at his website http://owdman.co.uk/ to see what looks right.

AndyT":2k24slvs said:
Jacob (who posts on this forum) makes some really nice tables with painted frames and drawers. Have a look at his website http://owdman.co.uk/ to see what looks right.
Ooops thanks for the reminder - my site is very out of date.

Paint - I'm no expert. Painting drawer fronts without getting paint onto the sides and into the DT pins endgrain - wiping something on to the side such as wax polish or linseed oil, with your finger in a bit of cloth, is easier to control than painting and need not get on to the front. Then when you paint the front any accidental spread to the waxed/oiled side can be rubbed off cleanly if you catch it straightaway. With a bit of practice you do it perfectly every time so the problem goes away.

Thanks for your comments. I'll try painting the front face only and protecting the sides as best I can.

Back