Paint your wagon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
They just dont make them like this anymore sadly.
Just scared the begeebus out the grand kids by singing along to "I was born under a wandering star" ...

I hope you can sing better than Lee Marvin did (come to think of it, ANYBODY can sing better than he did in "Paint your Wagon") ;-)

Don't forget, there are plenty of actor/actresses whose voices were dubbed and the actual recoring singer never credited!

At least you KNOW that it was Me Brosnant!!

Phil

AES":3hegsv2k said:
I hope you can sing better than Lee Marvin did (come to think of it, ANYBODY can sing better than he did in "Paint your Wagon") ;-)

I thought he sung it well, I'm sure it was a number 1 hit for a while, on vinyl as well.

Yeah, also true treeturner 123.

Funnily enough at odd moments I've been watching a series of Youtube vids covering the TED lectures on various aspects of music. In one of them the presenter (a classical music conductor) says that many people ("mostly wives talking about their husbands"!) say that "he/they can't sing, they're tone deaf".

The presenter goes on to demonstrate that in the majority of cases this just isn't so. The demonstration takes the form of a recorded phone call (not the "hi-est of fi s" of course) in which almost everyone can tell straight away that A) the caller is a female, B) who the caller is, and C) that the caller is in a bad mood.

Apparently, all it takes for the vast majority of people to accurately reproduce (i.e. sing) a particular note is just a little practice.

Obviously NOT so in the case of Messrs Marvin, Brosnan, and many other stars though! :D

RogerS":379czppe said:
AES":379czppe said:
Obviously NOT so in the case of Messrs Marvin, Brosnan, and many other stars though! :D

Like Stormzy......putting the 'C' in Rap.

It's not Rap! It's Grime!

Which I suppose is another word for rubbish... :?

I'm usually quite open to different musical cultures but Grime seems to be just looking at a rhyming dictionary and mashing words together until something remotely comprehensible is created.

Trevanion":1tbea1x2 said:
RogerS":1tbea1x2 said:
AES":1tbea1x2 said:

Like Stormzy......putting the 'C' in Rap.

Grime seems to be just looking at a rhyming dictionary and mashing words together until something remotely comprehensible is created.

Yep!!! No Grimey music coming out of Lee Marvins cake hole. :)

I'm actually in 2 minds myself over c-rap, grime, grunge, whatever. On the one hand to "sing" that stuff is very clever/needs a lot of practice (I've tried, our choir tried one year with "Hit the road Jack" and even to get the timing AND enunciation right with something like "oh baby baby baby don't you treat me so mean, you're the meanest ole woman that I've ever seen" is more than just difficult, especially whilst also keeping the rythmn.

So some of these people really are very "clever" to "sing" that stuff.

But OTOH, I just WISH they'd enunciate the words properly so that I could fully understand them. AND compared with "Hit the road jack" (for example) many of those "hits" aren't very musical are they?

Back