Paint that doesn't wear off?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ives

Established Member
Reaction score
For a wooden keyring I need to make for someone. Acrylics? And some sort of finish? So far I've only been using totally non-toxic watercolours and olive oil/beeswax on for finish for the things I make, but I don't think that would hold up for a keyring. But if this person really wants her piece painted, she might not mind if it's not all natural.

All paints will wear off eventually, especially if they are in an abrasive environment (e.g. in close proximity to keys). Curing paints will stand the best chance of maximum durability.

It sounds like you are thinking of a clear lacquer over a coloured base coat. Systems like this need to be matched very carefully as the chemistry of the two coats needs to be compatible otherwise the lacquer will just peel off the colour coat.

In my experience you stand the best chance using paint designed for car bodies. Ideally proper 2k refinish materials, but failing that touch-up scratch repair systems (available from e.g. Halfords).

Latest posts

Back