Paint striper and varnish to use

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave the woodworker

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to restore a dinning table and need some advice about what is best to use.

1. What paint striper

2. What varnish or oil to use.

3. Quality brushes to use.

Thanks

More information needed. Is it currently painted or clear finished? If clear, do you know what the current finish is? If clear, is it veneered or solid wood? And what kind of wood? Pictures always help.

IMG_20210531_154426.jpg

So that's veneered. Personally I'd (carefully) use a card scraper to remove the old coating, followed by gentle sanding (probably avoid a powered sander as it'll be easy to go through the veneer around the edges).

What you refinish it with really depends on the intended use. A few coats of shellac (or even doing a French polish) would be the "traditional" route - but it doesn't stand up well to alcohol spills.

Osmo TopOil is a food safe finish that's pretty tough; though can look a little dull. I haven't used their PolyX; which may give more chatoyancy.

Danish oil (e.g. from Liberon) may give a more attractive finish; though I believe the Osmo products are (claimed) to contain fewer nasty chemicals.

Personally I'd avoid poly vanishes as I think they're a bit "plasticy" for that sort of furniture.

So that's veneered. Personally I'd (carefully) use a card scraper to remove the old coating, followed by gentle sanding (probably avoid a powered sander as it'll be easy to go through the veneer around the edges).

What you refinish it with really depends on the intended use. A few coats of shellac (or even doing a French polish) would be the "traditional" route - but it doesn't stand up well to alcohol spills.

Osmo TopOil is a food safe finish that's pretty tough; though can look a little dull. I haven't used their PolyX; which may give more chatoyancy.

Danish oil (e.g. from Liberon) may give a more attractive finish; though I believe the Osmo products are (claimed) to contain fewer nasty chemicals.

Personally I'd avoid poly vanishes as I think they're a bit "plasticy" for that sort of furniture.

Thanks, could this table be an antique. It has brass fittings on the legs.
16226354083377956214539810502755.jpg

Back