Paint spray extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff_S

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I’m talking here about spraying a room. My nephew does wall panelling as one of his many skills and I’m terms of finishing had used brush & roller.

He’s just done a room for us and invested in an airless paint sprayer. Yes, we were the Guinea pigs! But the finish is super.

Thing is, he wore the proper suit and mask but the overspray filled the room and he was a bit “moon dust grey” at the end.

Now, when I do my airbrushing I have a small spray booth. Is there anything that is of a larger but portable extraction system for this sort of project. I have found extractor fans but these would need to be extracting through a filter.

Googling hasn’t helped me so far. Plenty of static booths, small and large but nothing for this type of whole room project.

Any ideas?

Ta.

What you need is a portable extractor.

I built my own, because I am poor, with an explosion proof industrial fan ( centrefugal, squirrel cage style ) and a large mdf box, it uses wire mesh panels which house fibreglass spray booth medium coarse, the green one and underneath a fine one. 150mm outlet pipe. I think its a 750 watt motor, it will clear my spray room pretty quick and you can feel it suck the door seals shut when you turn it on. I get the paint stop filter stuff on a massive roll.

I kind of stole my design from this Portable Spray Paint Fume Extraction : Auto Brite Smart Repairs Automotive Refinishers

Aircube do one as well Air Cube – the “portable spraybooth”

Hope that helps.

Ollie

Thanks Ollie, that's the job.

It helps in two ways. First I can now see what's needed, and second, I can see that I can build one 😊

Cheers

Geoff

No worries. For mine I housed the motor and fan inside a smaller box at the back so the outlet was pointing out for easy access and only the inlet is exposed to the inside of the larger filter box. I have filters on 3 sides, a big one on the face and smaller ones on the sides. I made frames that hold the filters with square mesh, these are held in place with butterfly screws on m6 bolts.

Ollie

His pressure was too high. I have sprayed several rooms‘ walls and all my ceilings, which were over plastered on the Artex. The ceiling mist coat was the worst messy, but a dust sheet caught everything. For the main coats, paint poured into the hopper straight from the retail bucket, no thinning, with a 515 or 517 tip. I did have dust sheets down, but any paint was dry by the time it got to the floor and the air was clear all the time. I do wear a mask whilst spraying, but even the filters remain pink, so nothing landing on them And all I wear is t shirt and jeans, no oversuit and it remains clean. My next project is the stairs and landing, which will all be sprayed and I’ll be spraying the bannister and spindles with neat Dulux diamond satin with a 210 tip. A ceiling in a 4m x 8m room takes five to eight minutes a coat, two coats, two hours apart and the finish is amazing. Coving covers like five coats by brush. The sprayer I use is a Greco 21GXFF, bought off the bay for £400 just to do all the ceilings as I hate rolling ceilings and had five big rooms to do, but now it gets used for all my emulsion. My new workshop last year was 8m x 4m internal and all walls and ceiling were painted white in 30minutes a coat. I never bothered covering the floor as it was a workshop, but
26053929-7830-4737-8808-DAB82F0FBBD1.jpeg
there was not a paint stain on it by the end, I just swept the floor.

I had an airless sprayer, but only used it once to paint a bathroom (whilst large for a bathroom, it wasn’t the biggest space, so couldn’t easily set up my spray booth extractor) - I think I also had the pressure too high, as it did seem to make quite a fog. I used a bit more paint than I had expected, but on the other hand, the finish and coverage was fantastic.

Based on that limited experience, I thought the Airless kit was a bit heavy duty for my usage - I then looked at converting the Airless kit to Air Assisted Airless, but in the end sold that and have since acquired an Air Assisted Airless sprayer. This has more controllability, but I have limited experience thus far and have yet to use this for walls.

Would love to see the panelling btw.

Cheers

Last edited:
I had an airless sprayer, but only used it once to paint a bathroom (whilst large for a bathroom, it wasn’t the biggest space, so couldn’t easily set up my spray booth extractor) - I think I also had the pressure too high, as it did seem to make quite a fog. I used a bit more paint than I had expected, but on the other hand, the finish and coverage was fantastic.

Based on that limited experience, I thought the Airless kit was a bit heavy duty for my usage - I then looked at converting the Airless kit to Air Assisted Airless, but in the end sold that and have since acquired an Air Assisted Airless sprayer. This has more controllability, but I have limited experience thus far and have yet to use this for walls.

Would love to see the panelling btw.

Cheers
Sure, should be finished soon

Back