Paint rubbing off thicknesser bed onto workpiece

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrightsonm

Reaction score
I have a clarke 10" planer thicknesser. It is maybe 7 months old. I have noticed that the paint on the thicknesser bed is starting to rub off onto the workpiece leaving white/grey streaks. The jointer bed is a machined finished surface and doesn't have the same issue.

Is this a known defect with these types of tools, is there anything that can be done about it?

Thanks

it is painted for prettiness to entice you to buy. gets some emery cloth and rub it off give it a wax and move on rather than waste time.

My Clarke did the same thing. It planes/sands off pretty easily so I didn’t find it a big problem.

(I’ve got a new p/t now so may get the Clarke up for sale on here soon.)

My Clarke did the same thing. It planes/sands off pretty easily so I didn’t find it a big problem.

(I’ve got a new p/t now so may get the Clarke up for sale on here soon.)
Thanks, I'll get sanding then.

On a second topic how do you find the snipe on your clarke? Do you have any tricks to reduce the snipe on your thicknesser? I quite often get a good inch of snipe each end. I'm probably lacking technique....

I found that lifting the board as it went in and came out of the thicknesser helped a lot. If I did that it wasn't a big issue and not enough that it wouldn't be removed when hand planing to get rid of the machining marks.

All these type of thicknessers have snipe and an 1" is pretty good considering some of the "better" machines have about 2 1/2" of snipe. it is to do with the distance between the rollers front and back inside the machine that really determines how much snipe you have. you can compensate a bit by having extra in/outfeed tables at exactly the right height, but best to compensate by cuting over long and trimming

I do try to lift the board on entry & exit, but find I get variable results. The difficulty with feed tables is they have to raise and lower at the same rate as the thicknesser bed. I've seen images of people extending the beds with ply, but there is probably a limit before you start to apply torsion to the lift due to no support at the extremities. I've never seen anyone replace the entire bed with a custom lift though??

Back