paint MDF??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
firtly I must say I'm not an expert with finish, paint and so on... but what I happened this evening seems a sort of magic.. I explain better..I have an old desk of twenty years ago with little value built by a friend of my father for me and my brother. It's made of a core of (I think) fir and two layers on both sides of MDF (?). Let you see at the picture. Now I have the new house and We (me and my wife) want a desk for the new computer (to say better the first: computer :roll: ), we thought: why do not to paint it? OK!! :) Today I bought the paint; Good price with a save of 50%. After a little sanding (If it would be MDF.. is it wrong?)) I began to paint the surface. After a little came my wife saying:"this home extractor doesn't work well.. Try to adjust it!!" I clean the filter (about 10 minutes) and come-back to paint. Magic :shock: ..the paint was nearly disappeared & &.
I was worried until I tried to paint again over a point where the desk was more dried. The second layer of paint has been able to cover the wood ;
see the little area.

Now I don't know if I made something wrong or the enamel paint was too much cheap :shock: .

Tomorrow I'll finish to paint the second layer and we'll see the result. For the moment.. do you have any advices? Is it regular if you paint MDF (If it is) that magic?

Many cheers
Gabriele

Hi Gabriele
What you needed to do first was to paint it with MDF primer as this stops the paint from doing what it did :) .
I hope that is clear

Hi Gabriele,

From your picture it looks like it might be hardboard rather than MDF. Either way, it would absorb the paint so you would be better off using primer first to seal the surface, as Colin suggested :wink:

Paul

Hi Colin,Paul

I don't know what it is but even after the second layer of paint, somewhere I can see the wood (it isn't wood :evil: ). This evening I'll buy the next can of paint and I'll spread the last layer; I'm tired!!
Paul.. hardboard?? I found on Wikipedia the next explanation:"Hardboard, also called high-density fiberboard... It is similar to particle board and medium-density fiberboard, but is much harder and denser..".. denser?? I think a thing more dense can absord less paint.. you think a thing less dense(MDF) how much paint can absorb :shock: .. or am I wrong??

Primer? If the only purpose is to seal the stuff I think the same can do a paint.. or not.. I think primer could cost less of the paint, and would have to be that the reason to use a primer first.. but because I bought the paint quite as a gift therefore I think I'm right :? .

I know only a thing: I'll never paint more a stuff made of man-made material as MDF or similar!

Many thanks for your time. I'll post other pics if the resul will be pretty :lol:

Cheers
Gabriele

Hi again Gabriele,

Hardboard and MDF are similar in the amount of paint they will absorb. You don't have to use primer, but if you do you will use less paint. Don't give up - I'm sure it will look good when you have finished :wink:

Paul

Hi All again,

at the point at which I am, now it's a challenge between me and that stuff.. I'll go with paint only :roll:

Many thanks for advices

Cheers
Gabriele

Latest posts

Back