Paint Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danst96

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am busy working on my first commissioned project which is a TV stand and a wall unit I am making from birch ply. I need to paint some parts and i was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for any paint companies to get the best finish on the birch ply. Im not really looking to see the woodgrain at all, rather looking for a good flat colour finish.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Thanks Eddy, one other question for you or anyone, does F&B or any other paints work as a table top surface or should it be sealed with something else as well? The table would be a boardroom table.

I don't know the answer myself but the Farrow & Ball website has lots of information and I'm sure they would be happy to answer your questions if you contacted them.

If you want it to be durable and actually flat you will need to spray it with a decent lacquer.
Morrells is a place to start. Acid cat is the best but it is very nasty, the water bourne is pretty good.
As for Farrow and ball most people let the customer choose their colour then get it made up in a better paint. Many decorators hate it.

Ollie

Most likely because of the cost rather than paint quality.

Actually the reasons stated to me were to do with the behaviour of the paint itself, the coverage, the way it tips off etc. Some say little green is better paint.

Price is irrelevant to a degree as the customer is paying for it.

Most of the guys said they just get Albany or Dulux made to the same colours and it goes on much nicer.
I have used farrow and ball ultra matt on some furniture and it was fine but required a special undercoat that cost as much as the top coat, not bad paint particularly but also not amazing in any way.
I like tikkurila paint and zinsser is good stuff too.

Ollie

I like to buy old paint from boot sales and I can say f and b started out much better. traditional oil products were fine. then they completely abandoned tradition and went completely water based. the paints ok but not durable and very slow drying. the main thing is the price though. its really just cod tbh. little greene still has a traditional oil based range. so is in many ways the successor to the sold out f and b(it's in b andq for cods sake.

Latest posts

Back