Pads for chair legs on wooden floors.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Brown

Freeloading Social media influenza
Reaction score
What does anyone recommend for chair legs, to stop them from scratching a wood floor? In the past I've found pretty much all of the self adhesive felt pads fall off, I used to cut small disc of old tennis balls with a hollow punch, and glue the rubber substrate to the leg with CA. Surely there must be a better way...?

Last edited:
I've never tried it, but Matthias Wandel (woodgears) showed a method of removing the sticky layer from the felt pad, then using hot melt glue to attach the pad to the chair leg - the claim being that as the glue cools hard it doesn't slip over time like the sticky layer.

I've never tried it, but Matthias Wandel (woodgears) showed a method of removing the sticky layer from the felt pad, then using hot melt glue to attach the pad to the chair leg - the claim being that as the glue cools hard it doesn't slip over time like the sticky layer.
Great idea. Will try that. Has to be better than trying to clean the gluey stuff that doesn't keep the pad on, but does stick hard to the floor!

Some chairs I bought came with something like that on the legs. The plastic parts broke off leaving the end of the pin nicely positioned to gouge the floor.

I've just had laminate flooring put down. Don't know how well it will work - but I have cut pads from the left-over underlay (thick shiny plastic top surface ofer a 2mm hard foam substrate). 2-sided carpet tape on the foam side - and the furniture glides beautifully on the laminate.

I like the look of Mathias Wandel's solution, apart from trying to remove the the adhesive strip.
Maybe I'll stick with tennis ball and CA, or maybe tennis ball and hot glue...

I've just had laminate flooring put down. Don't know how well it will work - but I have cut pads from the left-over underlay (thick shiny plastic top surface ofer a 2mm hard foam substrate). 2-sided carpet tape on the foam side - and the furniture glides beautifully on the laminate.
I believe carpet tape is not that different from the self adhesive stuff I don't trust.

I use the adhesive felt pads and never had problems with the adhesive. What has happened is that a bit of grit has become embedded in the pad and scratched the floor, but generally they work well. I clean all the rubbish off them every so often. An alternative is an angle bracket on each leg and screw them to the floor, so they can't be moved:giggle::giggle:

I use the adhesive felt pads and never had problems with the adhesive. What has happened is that a bit of grit has become embedded in the pad and scratched the floor, but generally they work well. I clean all the rubbish off them every so often. An alternative is an angle bracket on each leg and screw them to the floor, so they can't be moved:giggle::giggle:
Good idea, but I think two anchored legs would suffice. Four would be overkill.

Ah!!! happy memories of the unemployment office in the 70's. Chairs fixed to the floor, so you couldn't throw them at anyone!!

I've given up on felt unless the item doesn't move much, so for tables they're OK. Instead I use the PTFE pads (eBay) which can be had in a screw on version as well as self adhesive.

Been there. It took a while to find the answer.
Felt pad, bonded to a plastic carrier with a shallow rim that stops the felt sliding off, and has a single slim nail through the centre to keep it on the leg.
These have lasted a couple of years now on dining chairs that are in constant use.
Keep an eye on them and the plastic will never touch the floor.
The self adhesive type felt pads only last a few months before needing to be replaced.

They may have come from Ikea who also, definately do the simple self adhesive pads.

I use the pasa on the bottom of my jogsaw to stop it marking!

cheers James
You have a jogsaw ? :D I want one of them :D

OP.
Instead of cutting discs from tennis balls, just put a slice in the ball and slide the whole thing onto each leg. the pressure will hold it in place and the novelty of it will impress your friends and neighbours

Attachments

• 26C6FBB4-050F-4F22-A4D9-48CAFABC77CB.jpeg
    26C6FBB4-050F-4F22-A4D9-48CAFABC77CB.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1
Back