Pad saws - a useful modern tool or not?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluekingfisher

Established Member
Reaction score
I have over the past several years collected and been given some vintage Pad saws. Presently I have around 6 or so. I do not use them on a daily or even on a regular basis, just wondered if people are still using them?
The other day I decided to sharpen the blades on a couple. ( I have two with hacksaw blades fitted for unruly nails or screws). It struck me the blades, all of which seem to be as old or nearly as old as the handle have a very aggressive tooth pattern. The rake angle was 15degrees on all of them, filed in a rip pattern with a heavy set, leaving a kerf of around 1.5 - 2 mm. I appreciate the amount of rake makes for a less aggressive cut, however the combination of blade thickness, tooth set and tooth size got me wondering what and when would the tool have been used for.
I am aware they are also often called keyhole saws, perhaps for rough carpentry work, not fine furniture I would have thought.
Perhaps some had their tooth geometry altered (less set, cross cut pattern?) dependant on the use.
In any case, a couple spend their days hanging in my tool cabinet for me to gaze at occasionally.
So - Are they still by UKWS forum members or do any "older" craftsmen have fond memories of them in use?
David

Hi
Yes I too have one that was passed down to me so its well over a century old. Having worked as a yacht Joiner for several years I did find uses for it for awkward situations (common in that trade). Of course the intended use for these saws was as the name suggests, to make the straight cut between two holes (one larger than the other) to form a keyhole. They were more often than not sharpened with a 'rip' cut tooth pattern because the cut made for this purpose would have been along the grain and anyway if the keyhole was covered with an escutcheon plate it didn't need to be super neat.

I do happen to have a rather nice wooden-handled padsaw. It's quite big but works well for me. Twin screws holding the blade.
I last used it to cut out the apron space for my vice, I think.

Same sort of experience here. I have a couple of old ones with the slot through the handle and two brass screws to grip the blade. But for practical use I have a Japanese one from Axminster which is robust enough to be jabbed into plasterboard and sharp enough to cut wood.

Back in the days of "Gas Boards" (early 60's in my case), we used them to cut through floorboards so we could lay pipes underneath. A 4"bolster was used to smash the T&G out the way, then a pad saw to saw the rest of the tongue down to where the board would be cut. Lift the floorboard with the bolster again by levering it up using a hammer under the bolster and standing on the other end of of it. Then use a tenon saw to cut across the board.
Delicate we werent :roll:
Still have one, but havent used it in 20 years (maybe more), but never ever cut a key hole with one though.

phil.p":1y0837dp said:
With jigsaws now being ubiquitous I'm surprised no one has marketed one designed to hold a jigsaw blade.
Or maybe they have and I've not seen it. :? :D
You mean this?

24813.jpg

I have something like that, too, but it's horrible. Probably fine for sawing copper pipes, but that's it.

Thanks gents, as I thought more of a " rough" cutting tool prior to finish work.
In any case mine look quite good I have an ebony, Rosewood and some other figured wood ......and of course a Beech handled version, all with the heavy brass ferrules and twin screw blade locking system.
I also have a more recent, Footprint model which is the most robust of all, The Beech handle is bland, yet the brass ferrule is aesthetically pleasing despite being a newish model. I have this one loaded with a hacksaw blade, the Bacho blade fits perfectly.

The only people I have seen using them are tackers (plasterboard fitters), electricians, and plumbers. The only time I use mine is when plasterboarding. That said, if I had a nice fine-cut one, I would certainly use it now and then for fine woodworking.

phil.p":244ilq7o said:
No, a jigsaw blade.
Yep, there are ones like this that hold jigsaw blades too... ISTR Stanley and Bosch each made a folding version that takes a variety of blades, including jigsaw.
Edit: The Bosch 0603999007 Pocket Saw!!
Also, there are some multitools (Leatherman) that have a detatchable bit for holding replaceable jigsaw blades.

TBH, though, you can just get one of those hobby knife handles with the screw chuck and use that...

They're pretty handy for cutting out old sash pockets when doing a refurb if they've not been cut in the past, but these days everyone uses either a jigsaw or a multitool like a Fein to do that job.

They are good for confined spaces where nothing else can be used. I make them from power jigsaw blades.

Attachments

• IMG_6320C.jpg
    IMG_6320C.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 304
Tasky":nr8ppomu said:
I do happen to have a rather nice wooden-handled padsaw. It's quite big but works well for me. Twin screws holding the blade.
I last used it to cut out the apron space for my vice, I think.

Me too. It stays with me. Handy for all kinds of hole cutting; particularly keyholes!!

John (hammer)

Latest posts

Back