Packing up workshop for house move

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bear

Established Member
Reaction score
Any specific tips on packing up a workshop for a house move.

Current shop is purpose built about 6 metres by 4.5 metres. New house has a detached double garage (though I doubt you'ld get the car doors open is you tried putting 2 in) of similar size.

Big items are cabinet saw, large planer, NYW router table, bandsaw, pillar drill, Myford super 7 (in bits), workbench, 2m high metal cabinets (x2). On top of that have loads of hand power tools, bench grinder, tormek, , planner, hand tools, shelving, sheets and wood.

Workshop is a bit of a mess and has needed sorting for ages and home finding for lots of things. No need now thats for the new place.

At the moment I'm thinking sort a couple of tool boxes of DIY tools I'm likely to need when I move in. Dismantle the likes of the saw (rails, outfeed, wings etc), Buy (or rent) plastic storage crates to box up as many bits and pieces as possible)

I'm thinking of asking the vendor if I can move the machines and big stuff into the garage the week before completion (house is empty) though I'm not sure where I stand insurance wise. Then moves the crates with the rest of the house stuff.

It'll probably be a couple of months before I get the shop set back up so plastic crates with lids seem a good idea

Anyone moved house and therefore shop and got any good advice?

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark

Go to your local woodworking shop and blag unwanted cardboard boxes off them. They are often glad to get rid of them and the boxes are usually pretty strong since they have carried heavy items all the way from China.

You will need more tools than you think to get the house and workshop sorted, so old wardrobes or kitchen cabinets are very handy for temporary storage of ready-use tools.

Insurance - you should insure the house from exchange of contracts as you have an interest in it from that moment onwards. It would be worth asking the insurance company whether they will cover your contents as well - I don't see why not, if you are paying the premium!

Good luck with the move

Duncan

When I last moved; As soon as we'd exchanged contracts I moved all my workshop into self storage(some went before we started showing people round the house to make things less cluttered).That way there are no complications with asking vendors for permission or possible insurance problems*. After the move there was no time pressure to sort out the new space and I could move the machinery in bit by bit. For the cost of a few months storage it made life a lot easier.
A basic DIY kit around immediately is essential though.

*If you do decide to ask if you can move kit across before completion there may/will be insurance complications. Make sure you FULLY declare the situation to prevent any wriggle room in the event of a claim, also to the vendor's insurers too.
Be warned; Most insurers won't cover kit in premises you don't have control over, not unreasonable really.

Supermarket crates are excellent for storage and removals. I still use mine as storage in the workshop. Easy to move, and can be stacked.

I moved house 3 times last year.some of my tools moved house with me and some are stored in my mothers shed. The one tip is to mark boxes with whats in them, nails, screws glue etc. Otherwise everytime you need something it involves looking through all the boxes and or trips backwards and forwards to the storage.

I bought loads of plastic storage from Ikea - the more or less clear stuff with lids. Cheap, stackable. A lot of it I even plan to keep in the containers in cupboards.

Good luck Mark
I have that dubious pleasure, if and when our house gets sold. I will watch this thread with interest .

I would go the self storage route as already mentioned. At worst you would have a couple of months storage fees to pay. Worse case scenario. You could turn up at the new house where you stacked all your tools to find someone has already helped themselves to them.

You really don't want to endure that heartache.

Another advantage to the self storage option, compared to trying to move it into the new property, is that if something does go wrong with the purchase and it fails to complete you don't have a sudden need to move everything home again. It's a rare occurrence, but not unknown and very traumatic when it does happen.

david123":2wocxi9f said:
Good luck Mark
I have that dubious pleasure, if and when our house gets sold. I will watch this thread with interest .

Same here, although I have already started getting rid of excess stuff.

Heavy duty interlocking lid crates.
Some smaller 65Litre size, some larger 95L, few much bigger upto 1000mm long.
All will stack for as long as required, without collapsing unlike cardboard.
Don't forget....you will have to lift them!
Oh...you'll need many more than you think.
Very short term hire, longer term buy, then sell later.

Bod
Speaking form recent experience.

Don't forget to be ruthless. There's no point in dragging stuff into storage then to your new place, only to pull it out and decide you haven't really got room for it. My cousin shipped a lorry load of stuff down from London, only to move into a smaller house and send most of it to auction.

Thanks for all the replies so far

I contacted the local self storage and had a pleasant surprise to the cost. Not sure how insurance will increase it yet and I'll need to hire a van twice to fill it and empty it again, but surprised none the less.

I think I will probably buy some interlocking lid plastic boxes and use cardboard crate for the rest.

Still not sure where to begin in sorting/packing though

Mark

heck ebay for older industrial plastic boxes for storeage/removals. Most have a strong lid, will stack and won't collapse like cardboard. I've seen them recently at £5 each in batches of 5. YMMV.

Wow I haven't seen them that cheap. More like £45 for 5 plus delivery.

Mark

The Bear":31jvyxxz said:
Still not sure where to begin in sorting/packing though
First task: Sort out a 'fix anything' set of the basics for DIY to keep with you and out of storage.

Back