P38J Lightnings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll take whatever wip pics you've got but would love to see the whole process as well. Wonderful stuff for an old spotter like me!

I have literally just finished 'Winkle' Browns autobiography (Wings on my sleeve) and the stuff he flew is truly amazing.

+1 That Brown book is fascinating. Truly remarkable bloke.

And another +1 for WIP on whatever model/s you've got under way Kittyhawk (though a word of caution if I may - I write too many words too often, AND I'm a slow worker anyway, but I've found doing a WIP at least doubles the time I'd normally spend on a job). You've been "warned" (but please don't let that stop you doing a WIP for us all)! :)

+1 That Brown book is fascinating. Truly remarkable bloke.

And another +1 for WIP on whatever model/s you've got under way Kittyhawk (though a word of caution if I may - I write too many words too often, AND I'm a slow worker anyway, but I've found doing a WIP at least doubles the time I'd normally spend on a job). You've been "warned" (but please don't let that stop you doing a WIP for us all)! :)
Yes, I figured that it could stretch the job out a bit, but I'm looking forward to having a go at a WIP. Next on the to do list is meant to be a Wellington bomber but will do a P51B Mustang instead because it will be a bit quicker and I take to heart AES's advise about it prolonging the work.
And for Skeetstar, a couple of other pics as requested.
First, a BF109E which is my favorite aeroplane from an aesthetic view point. The spitfire is undeniably elegant but the 109 looks just plain mean. Even sitting on the ground it gives the impression of wanting nothing more than to amble over a kick you a good one right where it hurts.
20200206_113359.jpg

A Corsair
corsair3.JPG

And a Hawker Typhoon, or Tempest. Without checking I can't remember which.
Typhoon.JPG

I've just read an article in the Aeroplane mag about the early Allison engined Mustangs. Apparently early comments about its appearance likened it to the Me 109. This was influenced by the fact that the P51 was designed by a German designer.
Looking at your 109 model I can see why the comment arose.
Brian

I've just read an article in the Aeroplane mag about the early Allison engined Mustangs. Apparently early comments about its appearance likened it to the Me 109. This was influenced by the fact that the P51 was designed by a German designer.
Looking at your 109 model I can see why the comment arose.
Brian
Thank you for your comment. I find these insights fascinating. Never noticed it before but there is a clear similarity between the early Mustangs and the 109. With the later marks of the P51, the bubble canopy etc, the similarity is not so obvious.

You are clearly very talented at this modelling malarkey! I like all of those but the typhoon looks really good.

Interested to see how you go about it and might have a go myself.

Last edited:
Interested to see how you go about it and might have a go myself.
Excellent!
What I was planning on the WIP post was something like a tutorial starting off with where you find the plans online (for free), tools you will need (not much) and share what little tips and tricks that I have learned along the way. I know that I am a bit myopic about it but I think accurate scale modelling of anything in wood is a great hobby and that anyone with some skills with wood and a dab of patience can produce a pleasing result.

Wonder what happened to the 1/72 scale models I made from plans in "Aeromodeller" back in the dear dead days of the 1950s? Left them at parents' house when I went to University and didn't have time after that to revisit such activities. My favourite (and it was quite a good model, tho' I say it myself) was a DH Rapide. Someone described the Rapide as a "Gentleman's aerial carriage" and you can see why.

Really spiffing work. I love it. I'm looking forward to your wip. I'd love to see a vulcan being done. I just bought some bits from one that crashed 15 miles from my house back in the 7O's

Wonder what happened to the 1/72 scale models I made from plans in "Aeromodeller" back in the dear dead days of the 1950s? Left them at parents' house when I went to University and didn't have time after that to revisit such activities. My favourite (and it was quite a good model, tho' I say it myself) was a DH Rapide. Someone described the Rapide as a "Gentleman's aerial carriage" and you can see why.
Yes, the wonderful De Haviland Rapide. I have been in one here in NZ. One of my not very close neighbours had one in his shed and was in the middle of a major restoration, and a magnificent job he was doing, too. Being a wooden aeroplane I would love to model it and have been trying to get my customers to order one but they're a belligerent lot, all they want are warplanes.
During WW11 the RAF had a number of Rapides which they renamed the Dominie. They used the aircraft as a flying classroom for training navigators. And I have just discovered courtesy of Mr. Google that Dominie is Scots for 'schoolteacher '. I really love that.

That's interesting KH. Had heard of the Dominie (indeed, a tawse-armed Scottish schoolmaster!) but for some reason was confusing it with the Anson, a totally different beast from a different company.

This thread is taking me back to my teens. Having got bored with endless Airfix kits - merely gluing and painting, I decided to make a wooden model completely from scratch from odds and ends found in my dad's wood store. The aircraft I chose - the Handley-Page Heyford bomber:cry:. There's nothing like giving oneself a challenge!
Later in life I did go on to make equipment for Jaguars, Boeing 727s and 737s but I had help from a few other engineers.
Brian

I was glad to hear the meaning of the word "Dominie", which was new to me, thanks folks.

Just to add to this fund of "rambling, probably useless, but nonetheless interesting info" - to me anyway, Kittyhawk, you may care to know that the Rapide (in Dominie guise) was also operated by the RAF in UK during WWII as a nav trainer. And I'm not sure, but think it may have been used in the same role in the Empire Training Scheme - i.e. in Canada, Rhodesia (as was), etc.

And just to go a stage further with that name, in the 1960's/70, De Havilland at Hatfield (both as was) developed a twin rear-engined "T"-tailed biz jet called the DH 125. (Of course with all the aviation industry mergers, etc, around that time, and after the "marketing flower arrangers" and other "brand image consultants" got their hands on it, it "ended up" being called the HS 125, which after further "industry consolidations" was stretched a bit and became, I think, the Hawker 800.

Anyway, the RAF bought a batch of the HS 125's for use as navigation, etc, trainers and called them - yep "Dominie". Don't know if they're still in RAF service these days though.

To the best of my knowledge the Dominie was not used here to train pilots. That was done with the Avro Anson mentioned earlier. Tiger Moths were used as primary trainers though.
When I got my start as an aircraft mechanic it was on Douglas DC6s used for spray and firebombing, Douglas A26 Invaders and a little with Grumman TBMs. With the cylindrical fuselage of the DC6 one could do part of it on a lathe, maybe the 4 round engines too. :)

Pete

Pete, above I was referring to training "navs" (navigators), not pilots.

BTW, I think it must have been in either 1964 or 5 that I (and several of my colleagues) flew in an Avro Anson - still in service then. And as far as I could tell, about the only difference was that the engines had been replaced with Alvis Leonides, and there was no gun turret! We flew from E. Yorkshire up to Scotland on a squadron detachment - came back a week later on an "all metal" (i.e. much more modern!) Hunting Percival Pembroke.

I meant to say we didn't use the Dominie at all over here. The Ansons got used for training pilots, navigators, bombardier, radio operators and gunners too. I suspect lots of aircraft types were used to train as many different disciplines as possible to get the most out of the aircraft at hand.

I was a young pup of 10 or 11 when you went on your ride and was in vocational school learning to wrench a decade later.

Pete

Ah, OK. I did say I wasn't sure about Dominie's in the Empire Training Scheme. Do you happen to know, were the Ansons locally built (e.g. Avro Canada) - did they even exist then BTW?

Re "young pup" - I'm sure you still are one mate - just like me. :whistle:

(And BTW, the civil name for the Pembroke was "Prince"). It made quite a contrast to the "Annie" we got on the way up to Scotland, being a "new" aeroplane, probably "only" about 10 years old, or even less). Like the USA with the B52 for e.g., the RAF was noted for "getting the most" out of their aircraft.

Re round fuselages (and engines - a la DC6) I've got a "fun sheet" somewhere (can't find it) extolling the virtues of "big round engines". Amongst other things it stated that only engineers - NO pilots - should be allowed to start them and shut them down again, and only exceptionally talented pilots should be allowed to handle the throttles (sorry, "power levers") and mixture controls at all when in flight! Only slightly tongue in cheek of course! Must look for it sometime.

P.S. What's a Grumman TBM? The "Avenger" torpedo bomber?

The Ansons were made by several companies but Avro wasn't one of them. Aircraft Details - Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum
The Grumman Avenger was designated TBF if made by Grumman and TBM were made by General Motors. Many of the aircraft of the time were made by multiple companies in order to keep up with production needs but you knew that.
If Kittyhawk were to make one of every kind of production airplane he would need a few dozen lifetimes or farm out the work to a few dozen people. :)

Pete

P.S. What's a Grumman TBM? The "Avenger" torpedo bomber?

It certainly is AES. Dropping torpedoes must have been one of the worst jobs going. Having to fly at a set speed, height and straight for so long straight at the guns of the boats you wanted to dent!

Kityhawk, I am really impressed at your skills with the modeling mate! I am still working my way through the 1/4 scale DFS Habicht and have the understanding about the patience you talked about.

Another good subject for you would be the Bristol Britannia. Cylindrical fuz and engines on that too. I have always wanted to do a scratch build of one at about 25th scale. That would still give me almost 6' span.

Back