P/T Making a Strange Noise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, there i was, happily jointing some Ash for a bedside table that i am making, when my P/T started making a dodgy rattling kind of noise.

So i switched it off, unplugged it and removed the end jointer table. I had a good look about inside but couldn't see anything. I then checked all the nuts and bolts were tight, yup they all were :roll:

I plugged it back in again, and switched in on for 1 second then switched it off. The noise got faster as the machine got faster

So It seems as if the knives are catching on something as it goes round, or something like that, but i checked and there wasn't anything in the way,

Is there anything else it could be?

Oh and its a Elektra Beckum HC260 if it helps

Ta

Tom

Tom

Ignore me if you have already checked this:

I take it that the blades are tight in ther holder, also did you check the bearings that hold the blade drum.

Hi Waka,

Whilst looking for the bearings i removed a cover that revealed the belt that goes from the motor up to the planer head.

It had a small tear from it (about 3mm) so i cut it off and realised that it wasn't in the centre of the round thing it spins on (not sure of actual name).

So i centred it, top and bottom, screwed the cover on and started it up for about 10 seconds. I thought i'd better check the pulley again, so i did, only to find it had been pulled out of the centre of the metal thingy :p (towards the P/T, not away from)

I tried it again a couple of times but it's doing the same thing, and i'm afraid that if I were to leave the pulley, it would be ripped into shreads :(

So what now? :?

Ta, Tom

Tom, is your P/T level? I had the same trouble with the Maxi, but once I levelled it up I've had no further problems. Of course that might just have been a coincidence, but FWIW.

Cheers, Alf

When you adjust a belt sander you tilt the axis of one shaft, could the two drive pulleys not be running parallel to one another.

Tom, presume the sequence of events started with the pulley moving on the shaft then the edge of the pulley started to dig into the belt. Is the pulley held unto the shaft with a grub screw? Is there a flat on the shaft for the grub screw to purchase on? If so, relocate the pulley on the shaft, tighten or find/replace the grub screw. If the belt is just about intact it might carry you over until you can get a replacement. Oh, and use thread loc for the grub screw. Of course if the pulley is press fitted a hammer and a block of wood with a hole in for the shaft might work. just make sure the pulleys are co-planar.

Noel

Right i know what it is now,

Somehow the belt has had 2/3 of the grooves ripped off, thus causing it to pull towards a certain direction.

To confirm this i reversed the belt, and it pulled the opposite direction, and then pulled off :roll:

So it looks like a new belt is in order,

I've just sent EB an email to ask if it was still under guarentee (bought 12th November 2004) and where i can buy new pulleys...

Thanks for the help everyone,

I'm still unsure on how it all started, as the pulleys are level with each other :shock: :?

Ta, Tom

thomaskennedy":3viepcp5 said:
I thought i'd better check the pulley again, so i did, only to find it had been pulled out of the centre of the metal thingy :p (towards the P/T, not away from)
Tom, how can they be co-planar if the pulley wheel has moved?

Noel

Tom, a picture would be good as I'm sure it would make things clearer. Depends if there's much of a flange on the pulleys. Usual way is to put a straight edge across them. I took it, from your description, that the pulley moved on the shaft and and this resulted in the belt getting nipped.

Rgds

Noel

SOme planers have an interlock button so if a cover is off the drum wont turn. They are generally spring loaded and if the spring fails the pin will drop down in and out of the slot as it is turning. DAMHIKT
:D

Ok this first pic is what it should look like all the time,

www.yorkshirefurniture.co.uk/Before.JPG

And after being switched on for a few seconds, this is where it ends up:

www.yorkshirefurniture.co.uk/After.JPG

But when i reverse the belt it pulls the other way and then pulls off :shock:

So does it call for a new belt? If so where can i get one ASAP, as I'm sure EB will take a while in getting me one :roll:

Ta, Tom

Tom,
Has the pulley spindle become loose? Belts normally run to the high point on a flat or crowned pulley and it seems as though your spindle may be tipping "down". Also is that a crack in the casting one can see toward the bottom left of the "After" picture?

Hard to tell Tom except that the belt is knackered, frayed and I imagine the ribs may be torn which may account for the belt movement. Is the pulley moving? Can't tell. But first stop is a new belt. As Chris has mentioned is the casting fractured?

Noel

From what i can tell, the pulley spindle hasn't become loose, but i wouldn't know even if it had :roll: :oops:

I'm a bit unsure of where you can see the crack :? i can't see it on the pic, but i've had a close inspection, and theres nothing i can see on the machine itself :-k

I thought the belt would need replacing :cry:

Lets hope EB don't take forever :evil: 'cos i'm stuck without it ](*,)

Ta, Tom

Don't worry about the "crack", it's only a lip with a bit of shadow below it. Mark the pulley position on the shaft with a marker and run the machine.

Noel, off to specsavers branch near Chris.

Tom,

Last time I had to get a belt for my EB P/T, I called EB in Southampton (IIRC) and had the belts (I ordered 2 as insurance) the next days.

Failing that, I see to recall that D&M in London have them.

OK no crack - just these old eyes! Tom, I would take the belt off and see if the pulley spindle moves - it shouldn't obviously.

Waiting in line at Spec Savers with Noel..

Tom,

Just dug out the invoice - from Aug 2002 (!) so the price will probably have changed and they may even have changed address and/or phone number.

I paid £8.60 exc. VAT - plus £2.50 "handling charge".

Address is (was):

Metabo (UK) Ltd
25 Majestic Road
Nursling Industrial Estate
Southampton SO16 0YT.

Telephone: 023 8073 2000

Back