P/T disposable blades......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clogs

just can't decide
Reaction score
My new P/T has 3 HSS solid blades......was thinking about a spiral helix Carbide set up but to get a special one made will end up over £2000, as it around 500mm wide......
any suggestions on a disposable Carbide blade set up.....
have tried to google but there's so much nonsence out there thought I'd ask for anyone with experience of such.....

I do have [that needs rebuilding a Kitty P/T blade grinder [no longer available] but it for blades up to 12"......
thought about modding it but 500mm is prob asking to much....

a lot of the wood I will machine is heavily knotted and has tricky grain, HSS blades are frankly hopeless....well the edge goes real quick.....
any idea's please....based on user experience.....

I use HSS blades for normal timber because they give the best finish in my opinion. For teak and Iroko I use a set of TC tipped blades because of the mineral content which as you say rapidly takes the edge of HSS.
My block only holds two knives so a pair of knives from my local cutter grinder/ sharpening service cost £100 about ten years ago.
At that time Axi wanted £250 for three knives and only sold sets of three.

I converted my PT to the ESTA knives a while ago, the holders are expensive but I am pleased with it, works really well, I have only ever used the HSS knives though.

Try Sheartak. Spiral Cutterheads - Helical Cutterhead and Woodworking Tools Store I think the company has the heads made in Taiwan and have heard good things about them from a couple people on another forum that tried them. They are certainly a lot cheaper than the 2,000 pounds you found. They have a couple 20" heads for Powermatic that are about $1,000Can. How much your government takes from you when they enter the country is something you'd have to figure out to see if it is cost effective for you.

Pete

many thanks ...will look further into it......

Mr inspector.....It was their US counter parts that gave me that rough quote....
The canadian firm didn't reply to my emails...will give em another try tho.......
how's the weather there....
me yesterday...Not bad for DEC 6th.....must loose a bit o weight.....hahaha...
1d4fd24f-8a96-4ab8-9a9c-67b5280b02fb.jpeg

When considering the Carbide helix system bear in mind the cost of the replacement knives.
Whilst they are 4 sided each knife will cost you somewhere in the region of £4.00 each, so replacing say 60 knives on a 230 mm long head will cost you around £240.00
Are the knives you currently use "actually" HSS. there are a lot of descriptions for knives which are deemed HSS but are not.
I have taken this from a company that manufactures the different types of "HSS"

• HSS 18%W planer knives (speed steel alloyed with 18% tungsten) these blades are suitable for semi-hard and soft woods and to work with planers and moulders machines.
  • HSS 6%W planer knives ( speed steel alloyed with 6% tungsten): these are suitable for semi-hard and soft woods to work with planers machines.
  • HLS 13% Cr planer knives ( chrome alloy steel): these blades are suitable for working with planning softwoods.
  • ST1 planer knives ( speed steel Chromium Nitride coating); these knives are suitable for all types of wood work, hard and semi-hard and soft.

I've been using the Tersa system on my P/T for the past few years and I can't speak highly enough of it. As it's less than a minute's work to change all four knives, it's dead easy to always have the right set for the job at hand in the cutter block i.e. well used set for suspect/reclaimed timber, middling set for everyday work, fresh set for tricky stock, not to mention the various alloys available. I don't think Tersa can be retrofitted to a machine without changing the cutter block though, so unlikely to be your cheapest option.

Latest posts

Back