oxy propane advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm after some advice as to what to get. Up to now I've got away with just using a blow torch on my rebuilds, but at times I think something better would be helpful. I would also like to try brazing.
What type of torches and setup do I need. Is it safe to buy second hand gear from ebay.

regulators should be changed every 5 years I think (might be 10, can't remember, don't have a set anymore). hoses should be free from defect (impossible to proof on Ebay) and replaced every 5 years, flashbacks should be changed more regularly. torches are fine second hand assuming they can be proven safe (valves etc. can be changed out easy enough and nozzles are consumable). a trolley is a must if you plan to move it around, that can be second hand or build your own. the BCGA website is worth a look for real information on it, I know you aren't a business but the advice given should still be followed.

Unlike acetylene, propane is fairly easy to bottle and doesn't leach in the same way, compressed oxygen on the other hand scares the dung out of me (having seen what it can do first hand) and a flashback is going to leave a nice stain on the back of your pants. second hand kit seems like a bad idea to me where it's concerned. Seek guidance from a professional before you touch it (best bit of advice never to follow I know), you might change your mind.

it should be noted that oxy propane is a shed load safer than oxy acetylene and with the right knowledge can be a really useful tool to have at your disposal, talk with your local supplier to see what safety precautions they suggest and decide from there if it's benefits outweigh the costs.

Mapp is good for small parts but you need more oomph to warm big castings that soak heat away quickly. A plain propane torch is better than a plumbers torch and lasts longer. Gas can be had from hobbyweld - you pay a bottle deposit then for refills as you need them so no expensive rent. Oxy propane is great - use it more than oxy acetylene at work for freeing stuff off.
My other ace up the sleeve is the "bolt buster" - induction bolt heater. Hold it over a seized nut, pull the trigger and you can get it cherry red in about 20 seconds. Absolutely awesome. Plus no flame risk.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I'm no expert on the subject and you probably already know this, but from what I understand the acetylene is only really needed for the higher temperature steel welding with the torch which nobody ever does anymore, hence why a lot of people that do brazing work and forge work prefer propane as it's much cheaper.

My father's large oxy-acetylene tanks have has the same gas in them for over 20 years now, that's how little it gets used anyway, possibly once or twice a year for releasing something really stuck on tight or the odd bit of brazing. No idea where he got the tanks from as there's no rent or anything on them and it's probably best I don't know :lol:. It would be interesting to know if you could have these bottles refilled but I seriously doubt it, they'd probably have one look at the bottles and tell you to pipper off. If it were easy to get a hold of Oxygen without the rent and paying ridiculous amounts of cash for those tiny bottles it might get used more with propane for certain things.

Your fathers tanks are quite possibly dangerous by now. All pressure vessels require pressure testing on regular basis. Divers bottles, bulk gas tanks, all require testing. My personal experience with bulk gas storage tanks requires testing every two years, and mandatory scrapping after 10 years.

http://www.bcga.co.uk/pages/index.cfm?p ... er_testing

No point in getting used oxy acetylene bottles any more as you can't get them re-filled once empty as they are all bar coded now. You could go oxy propane or get hobby size oxy acetylene bottles from hobby weld - https://hobbyweld.co.uk/ should be a supplier near you. You buy the bottles and pay to refill. Its not too bad price wise.

oxy propane or acetylene you will need a set of regulators, ideally a set of flashback arrestors, hoses and a welding torch. you should be able to pick up most of the bits and bobs of ebay. If you are going to do any flame cutting you will need a cutting torch as well. The welding torch will be ok for brazing and gas welding with a few nozzles.

If you haven't used it before the main points I was taught (while ago now) was to ensure that when connecting the oxygen bottles make sure the threads and mating faces are clean and oil free as the high pressure can cause an explosive condition to occur apparently. When lighting light with the fuel flowing only and then introduce oxygen. When extinguishing turn off fuel first. Flashback arrestors, hoses and regulators are prob worth getting new I would say. Also worth getting a spark lighter, a set of nozzle cleaning files and gas welding goggles.

while you are in your local friendly suppliers looking at shiny things and buying a pair of goggles, ask about rent free bottles and see who they suggest, I'd be surprised if it's hobbyweld.

Most largish towns have somewhere. I get my argosheild (non propitiatory version at least) from here:

https://www.gas-uk.co.uk/rent-free-gas- ... fuel-gases

normally pick up a few consumables when I change over so lots of other bits get thrown in the box and covered by the postage, although I haven't had to for quite some time now as I don't weld half as much as I used too.

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated.
Novocaine, that site is really good. I think I know where I'm going for my Christmas prezzies.

jimmy_s":28xz5cyx said:
oxy propane or acetylene you will need a set of regulators, ideally a set of flashback arrestors, hoses and a welding torch. you should be able to pick up most of the bits and bobs of ebay. If you are going to do any flame cutting you will need a cutting torch as well. The welding torch will be ok for brazing and gas welding with a few nozzles.
They are a legal requirement these days. If you were to run without them and cause an accident, assuming you survive, you'd invalidate your insurance and be on the hook for all damage caused. Not really worth it if you ask me.

RichC - Not sure if that's true in a domestic situation but I'd fit them anyway. If you have acetylene in your garage or shed you prob should tell your insurer in any case if you wanted to be covered in the event of a fire.

jimmy_s":20hs35jb said:
RichC - Not sure if that's true in a domestic situation but I'd fit them anyway. If you have acetylene in your garage or shed you prob should tell your insurer in any case if you wanted to be covered in the event of a fire.
Agreed and be prepared for much scratching of chins and sucking air through teeth. :wink:

Back