Oxbend Chair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dzj

Established Member
Reaction score
Any ideas how this joint was made?

https://fernwehwoodworking.com/products/oxbend-dining-chair?variant=31666029428808

oxb.jpg

It is a nice design, isn't it. He is quite active on IG, and there are a few workshop process shots among the marketing ones, so you might spot something. I had a quick look, but the best I saw was from 29th Oct 2019 showing the router bit and jig he uses to clean out the seat housing. It would appear from this to just be a housing joint.

It is a nice design, isn't it. He is quite active on IG, and there are a few workshop process shots among the marketing ones, so you might spot something. I had a quick look, but the best I saw was from 29th Oct 2019 showing the router bit and jig he uses to clean out the seat housing. It would appear from this to just be a housing joint.
Yes, an interesting design! Simple, elegant...
I just saw a brief video on IG he posted on making the footrests. On a nearby shelf there was a stack of finished seats and it looks
like it's just a housing joint, as you say. Quite courageous to rely only on glue. I wonder if there's more to it?

It reminded me of this chair. Different obviously, but the way the arms of the back splayed out is really nice.
The difference between the Oxbend chain and this from Hans J. Wegner, is you add a zero, and not at the front :LOL:
I hope you find out how the joint was completed. I reckon you'll need to be able to zoom in pretty close to any pics to see how it is jointed.
OAM_NYC_Hans_Wegner_Johannes_Hansen_Valet_Chairs-3.jpg

Gets you thinking about how it’s strong enough. I bet there was considerable trial and experiments to get the strength without it looking heavy.

Back