Oxalic Acid

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantontod

Reaction score
I applied Oxalic Acid to a sideboard about a week ago to remove water stains (mixed in 1:6 ratio with warm water). I forgot to neutralise it and then sanded, applied white spirits, oiled and waxed. There was no issue with applying the oil and the sideboard looked great. Over the weekend I sold and dropped off the sideboard.

Just this evening I got to thinking about my application and suddenly feel concerned that there could be an issue with providing someone with a surface that had oxalic acid applied, that was not then neutralised.

Any thoughts on this?

We use it pretty extensively in bee keeping where it is quite harmful if inhaled after its vaporised.

In bee keeping it is used as one of the methods to control varoa mites. It will not be relevant to you. If you use it in a well ventilated space. Definitely wear eye protection and gloves. You could wear a mask but in diluted form I don't personally notice the fumes. I did an oak door with it at the weekend.

dantontod":1pmxcmnz said:
Do you think that's relevant in my situation?
"The dose determines the poison."

Oxalic is toxic, it can actually kill, but despite this there's no need to panic as small quantities aren't harmful. It's just like with cyanide, where a little doesn't harm you. Literally. That characteristic marzipan flavour when you bite into an apple seed? That's prussic acid in old texts, cyanide to you and me. Yes there's cyanide in apple seeds.

The main issue to users of oxalic isn't actually being poisoned, it's just that it's highly irritating to the nose and lungs because the dried crystals are very sharp.

Back